• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who Owns The Policies Now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gottalubme

Sate Of Florida

My Mother is recently deceased but is survived by my Father. She owns/ed several life insurance policies on various family members with herself named as the beneficiary. Most of these policies are whole life 20 year pay and are now paid up with associated cash values but a few still have monthly premiums due. One of the insured family members claims that since my Mother is now deceased that he owns the policies on him and he wants them to cash them in.

Somehow this just doesn't seem right nor fair to me and its my reasoning that since she has passed all that she owned now belongs to my Father to do with as he sees fit whether thats change the beneficiary and do nothing else, cash them in, get a loan on them, or go ahead and give them to the named insured.

Who's right? Does my Father really have no legal interest in or control over these policies after years of hard work and sacrifice by both to pay the premiums, or is someone just trying to be a royal pain? If my Father doesn't have any legal control over these policies can he contest that in any way with even a remote chance of success?

ALawyer

As far as I know, if she was the owner and then died, and there was no alternate owner named in the policy, they are now owned by her estate. If your father inherited the estate, then they are his; if your father and his children did, they they are joint property of the family memmbers who inherited, in the propostion of their interest in the estate.

G

Gottalubme

Thanks for the info. Sounds like this is going to get more complicated instead of less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">