• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays first?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wigglets

Someone wrecked into my fence. Must I pay for the repair first or does the insurance company pay after I send them an estimate?

zddoodah

Must I pay for the repair first or does the insurance company pay after I send them an estimate?
Depends on how quickly you want the repairs done. You can pay and seek reimbursement from the insurer or you can wait for the insurer. It may be that the insurer will simply offer you $X, which you can then use to pay for the repair yourself. I suggest you discuss this the next time you speak with the driver's insurer's adjuster.

Wigglets

It happened in New Mexico. I've gotten a few vocal estimates but I didn't know if I should hire them, and pay them and then send the insurance company the receipt showing it was paid ... or tell them how much it's going to be before I hire someone so I don't have to pay before the insurance company pays. This is my first time is why I ask. I just don't have the money to pay first.

doucar

You have answered your own question. If you don't have the money you should wait until the insurance company pays, unless the company you hire is willing to wait to be paid.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Required?
Not required by the terms of service, certainly, but it seems that some regulars here seem to be of the view that it is. The site prompts members to provide that info when they post and for many posts it is useful information. So I agree that in many posts it's needed. But there are some instances where it is not needed, and when I've pointed that out in answering those questions I nevertheless get the response from some that everyone needs to provide it anyway. For some questions the state is truly irrelevant and in those instances I'm baffled by the those insisting that the state has to be provided anyway.

adjusterjack

I've gotten a few vocal estimates
Get a couple of written estimates and submit them to the adjuster. The adjuster isn't going to act on what you say somebody says.

Make sure you take photos of the damage to submit with the estimate.

For some questions the state is truly irrelevant and in those instances I'm baffled by the those insisting that the state has to be provided anyway.
Same here. This post certainly did not need the state.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It is required. Half the time people don't post their state is because they are in another country.
I disagree that it is required. It is certainly useful information to know for most posts. But for some posts, it is quite clear that the state is not at all relevant and in those cases I see no point in insisting the person provide information that is irrelevant.

Just Blue

I disagree that it is required. It is certainly useful information to know for most posts. But for some posts, it is quite clear that the state is not at all relevant and in those cases I see no point in insisting the person provide information that is irrelevant.
Up until the last software update "What is the name of your state?" was on every opening post...so I will disagree that it isn't required. Even if the state doesn't matter for the issue in question, it matters to affirm the poster is actually in the US.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The state name is required.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I just reread the TOS and it says nothing about that being required. As a result, as far as I can see, there is no requirement for it. Sure, the system prompts users for that information, but that does not mean that it is required. It is simply useful for helping to answer most questions. I don't mind that people ask for those posting to supply it when they don't, I just don't see a point to it in some instances.

quincy

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I just reread the TOS and it says nothing about that being required. As a result, as far as I can see, there is no requirement for it. Sure, the system prompts users for that information, but that does not mean that it is required. It is simply useful for helping to answer most questions. I don't mind that people ask for those posting to supply it when they don't, I just don't see a point to it in some instances.
The members who have been posting to this forum far longer than you will probably disagree that it is not required of all posters to this forum.

Thank you for providing your state name, Wigglets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">