• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays first?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

The members who have been posting to this forum far longer than you will probably disagree that it is not required of all posters to this forum.
I've been here 5 years and I'm going with not required. The evidence of that is that a poster can post without showing his/her location. If the location was "required" then the software wouldn't permit log in without including the location.

I do, however, prefer seeing a poster's location.

So, there it is - preferred, not required. And I do ask for it if I think it relevant to the question.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The members who have been posting to this forum far longer than you will probably disagree that it is not required of all posters to this forum.
They very well might; I'll not argue with you on that point. Still, that does not persuade me to change my view on it. On the other hand, I'm not insisting anyone else agree with me either. As I said, I'll agree to disagree with you that it's required. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree that it sometimes isn't actually needed (federal tax questions and immigration questions come to mind), but, having been here for quite some time, I can confirm that it has been required. The software that the owners of the forum have chosen to use doesn't seem to have a way to force it, so we're left with policing it ourselves.

I also agree that it is quite often the case that a failure to post a state name indicates that the poster is posting from outside the US. In this thread, it was important to know if the OP was located in the US at the very least. requiring the state name is an easy way to confirm that.

Wigglets

Dang I didn't know I was going to cause a war just because I didn't provide my state in my first post. I didn't know I was required to do so. It was the first time I've posted on here. I was glad to give it when asked ... I just resent all the squabbling over it.

As for the original question. Yes I realize I can't just give verbal estimates to their insurance company. That wasn't the question, besides several of them that were supposed to come back with the paper work never showed up. It's been very frustrating. I just wanted to know if insurance companies expect the job to be done and paid for first before shelling out their part, or if I could just give them an estimate from the contractor and they'd pay that amount once the job was complete. Actually, some companies like to have some money up front to pay for parts., so there's another question. Does the insurance company pay me, or the contractor and if they pay the contractor how do I get my money back if I have to give a down payment? Like I said ... this is my first time doing this. Sorry.

quincy

Dang I didn't know I was going to cause a war just because I didn't provide my state in my first post. I didn't know I was required to do so. It was the first time I've posted on here. I was glad to give it when asked ... I just resent all the squabbling over it.

As for the original question. Yes I realize I can't just give verbal estimates to their insurance company. That wasn't the question, besides several of them that were supposed to come back with the paper work never showed up. It's been very frustrating. I just wanted to know if insurance companies expect the job to be done and paid for first before shelling out their part, or if I could just give them an estimate from the contractor and they'd pay that amount once the job was complete. Actually, some companies like to have some money up front to pay for parts., so there's another question. Does the insurance company pay me, or the contractor and if they pay the contractor how do I get my money back if I have to give a down payment? Like I said ... this is my first time doing this. Sorry.
Apologies for the “squabbling.” We have found another more appropriate place to continue with it. :)

Usually the insurance company will assess the damage first and make you an offer. You should get written estimates from a few contractors to see if what the insurance company is offering to pay is reasonable. The amount is negotiable. You can choose to wait to get a check from the insurer to fix your fence or you can fix the fence first. The insurer generally will pay you and you pay the contractor.

Wigglets

At first they said they had no information on my part of the accident, so I sent them the report number along with a copy of the report. They made no offer to check it out. Only said they'd only pay 80%. Since then I've been going through all the other stuff mentioned. Getting people here and then they disappear. This has been going since Friday the 13th Dec 2019. Just my luck. I just had another one here yesterday. Gave me an estimate and will be back Thursday with the paper work. I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for all the info.

quincy

At first they said they had no information on my part of the accident, so I sent them the report number along with a copy of the report. They made no offer to check it out. Only said they'd only pay 80%. Since then I've been going through all the other stuff mentioned. Getting people here and then they disappear. This has been going since Friday the 13th Dec 2019. Just my luck. I just had another one here yesterday. Gave me an estimate and will be back Thursday with the paper work. I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for all the info.
You have not reached a settlement and the accident occurred last December? Did you submit a claim to your own insurance company or did you submit a claim to the insurance company of an at-fault party?

What exactly happened?

Wigglets

I did what the Deputy told me to do. I talked to my insurance company. Then I got the accident report for numbers required for the insurance company my insurance company sent me to. Talked to them for a while. Sent photos of the damage. Come to find out this was the insurance company of the driver that was pushed into my fence from the drunk that ran the stop sign. I was then given the drunks insurance info. Talked to them and they said they didn't have the info on me in the report ... so I sent them the police report. I could see that I was included. They just said they'd pay 80%. Nothing more. After hunting for people to fix it has been exhausting and I wanted to know what to do when I finally found someone who'd get me info to give to the insurance company.

quincy

I did what the Deputy told me to do. I talked to my insurance company. Then I got the accident report for numbers required for the insurance company my insurance company sent me to. Talked to them for a while. Sent photos of the damage. Come to find out this was the insurance company of the driver that was pushed into my fence from the drunk that ran the stop sign. I was then given the drunks insurance info. Talked to them and they said they didn't have the info on me in the report ... so I sent them the police report. I could see that I was included. They just said they'd pay 80%. Nothing more. After hunting for people to fix it has been exhausting and I wanted to know what to do when I finally found someone who'd get me info to give to the insurance company.
Thank you for the further explanation. The accident was far more involved than a simple car running into your fence.

Your insurance company should be handling this for you. You should not have had to wait this long to have insurance money available to fix your fence.

I suggest you pester your own insurer.

Wigglets

That's what I thought. It seems as though everyone is passing the buck. It's even hell getting someone to do the job. Covid? I live in Chaparral and was told some people don't like to make the trip to do work. Others don't speak English. Others just disappear for no reason. Very frustrating. As soon as I find out if the guy who came yesterday actually comes back ...and gives me his estimate ... I will contact the drunks insurance co. And if I don't get action I will go to my insurance company, and even the one who actually went into the fence. By the way ... mine is State Farm. The car in my fence is Progressive, and the drunks is Allstate. All passing the buck, in fact Allstate said that Progressive should help pay. Oh but they are all johnny on the spot when THEY want to be paid. I just needed to get some info to move forward. So, thanks for that. At least I got something done. LOL.

quincy

That's what I thought. It seems as though everyone is passing the buck. It's even hell getting someone to do the job. Covid? I live in Chaparral and was told some people don't like to make the trip to do work. Others don't speak English. Others just disappear for no reason. Very frustrating. As soon as I find out if the guy who came yesterday actually comes back ...and gives me his estimate ... I will contact the drunks insurance co. And if I don't get action I will go to my insurance company, and even the one who actually went into the fence. By the way ... mine is State Farm. The car in my fence is Progressive, and the drunks is Allstate. All passing the buck, in fact Allstate said that Progressive should help pay. Oh but they are all johnny on the spot when THEY want to be paid. I just needed to get some info to move forward. So, thanks for that. At least I got something done. LOL.
I am sure that Covid-19 has caused some delays, and the fact that three insurance companies are involved has no doubt created its own problems, but you really should have received money for your fence by now.

Good luck.

BuyLowSellHigh

You are not required to get the fence fixed in order to receive compensation for the value of the damage. Once you agree on a settlement amount you are not required to spend that entire amount on fixing the fence. If you get the fence fixed before agreed on a settlement amount they may still offer less than what you paid if they think you paid more than it should have reasonably cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">