• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for roof? Selling house...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crazytalie64

Hi! I'm looking for some advice here. Buyers are expected to close on our home of 3.5 years on the 30th...but there still is a big issue of our roof that we are dealing with. After the inspection, the buyers wanted a few repairs around the house done, as well as a roof inspection (with repairs/replacement if necessary). Well, roof inspection didn't go so well. Contractor says there is hail damage, but overall the roof is in poor shape due to poor installation and says we need a whole new roof (our roof is only 10 years old). Our agent suggested filing a claim to see if insurance will cover. We did...adjuster came out with contractor and they said they won't cover. Now we are getting a second adjuster to come out to try to change their minds. This won't be able to happen until the 29th...one day before closing! The contractor gave a high estimate of $15000 for replacement and our agent says the buyers may want us to put half that aside for them for future roof replacement. This seems excessive right? What is a reasonable deal considering we have only been there for a short time and the roof isn't even that old? We are moving to a different state and are already under a contingent contract of a new house so we need to sell fast, but also need the money for a down payment.

Mass_Shyster

Stop taking legal advise from a real estate agent.

What does your written agreement say about contingencies and repairs? (That’s a rhetorical question)

Ask your lawyer

adjusterjack

Who pays for roof? Selling house...
That's easy. You either pay for it or give the seller a credit or the house doesn't sell.

Contractor says there is hail damage,
Did you climb the ladder to verify hail damage. It's not that difficult. There will be pock marks on the shingles.

overall the roof is in poor shape due to poor installation and says we need a whole new roof (our roof is only 10 years old).
How do you know it's only 10 years old if you've only owned the house for 3 1/2 years?

Our agent suggested filing a claim to see if insurance will cover. We did...adjuster came out with contractor and they said they won't cover.
Why not? Did you get a written denial? If not, then insist on a written denial specifying the reasons.

contractor gave a high estimate of $15000 for replacement and our agent says the buyers may want us to put half that aside for them for future roof replacement. This seems excessive right?
I don't know. Do you have a 7000 sq ft house? At that size $15,000 to tear off and replace a roof could be reasonable. Copy the estimate word for word in your next reply and I'll give you my opinion. I am a retired property claims adjuster. Also see if you can post close up photos of your roof. You may need to use a photo hosing site and post a link to it.

What is a reasonable deal considering we have only been there for a short time and the roof isn't even that old?
Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder. You make whatever deal it takes to get the house sold.

Stephen1

I'm thinking that if this sale fails due to the roof, then the issue of the roof needing to be replaced will be disclosed to any future potential buyers (whether it's a reduced sale price, you replacing the roof, or just a credit to the buyer) and therefore still need to be addressed by you. The one advantage I can see to letting this deal fail is that you will have more time to decide how the roof will be addressed. There won't be a closing deadline creating an urgency to making a decision.

LdiJ

I'm thinking that if this sale fails due to the roof, then the issue of the roof needing to be replaced will be disclosed to any future potential buyers (whether it's a reduced sale price, you replacing the roof, or just a credit to the buyer) and therefore still need to be addressed by you. The one advantage I can see to letting this deal fail is that you will have more time to decide how the roof will be addressed. There won't be a closing deadline creating an urgency to making a decision.
I would get another contractor out there to inspect the existing roof.

adjusterjack

If you have a choice between reducing the price and giving a credit, reduce the price because that reduces the real estate commission. A credit doesn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">