• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

howdoI

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a charged off credit card from 11/04. It has been thru a couple CA's and is now with an attorney. I now want to pay this off. So who do I pay? The Attorney or can I still pay the original creidior? Does the OC actually still own the debt or is it possible this attorney owens it? If I have to pay the Attorney, how do I get the charge off from the OC off my credit report? Also on my credit report along with the OC charge off is the same account listed by one of the CA's. Is this ok for them to do? I just want to pay this and get my creidt cleaned up. I have another small charge off that I also want to take care of too.

Ladynred

Paying a charge-off is NOT going to wipe it off your credit reports. Its going to stay there for the full 7-1/2 years unless you manage to dispute it off at a later date. Paying a charge-off isn't going to help your scores either.

It IS legal for the original debt and a collection agency to be listed at the same time.

Its questionable whether or not the debt is assigned or sold, my guess would be it's been sold to some collection agency or junk debt buyer who then handed it off to the collection 'attorney'. Does your credit report show 'sold or transferred' ?? If so.. its been sold. Chances of the OC actually still owning it are slim and they won't deal with you now even if they DO still own it.

If you want to pay, you're going to have to deal with the current collection clown - the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">