• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's at fault in a theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pettylumber

What is the name of your state? CA
I just moved into a new apartment about 1.5 weeks ago and 3 days into it, my apartment got broken into and about $6000 worth of stuff stolen. I have made a police report and they've done all the necessary stuff (ie. fingerprinting, looking up similar crimes etc.) but to no avail.

The burglar broke in throw the back window sometime during 8.30 am to 10.30pm. I am 100% certain that I closed my windows, and it looks shut to anyone, however, i did not lock them. The burglar snapped off the wire mesh and pushed the windows and jumped it. My back window is right next to a flight of steps and easily accessible by standing on the steps and jumping in. There is no back light at the back of the building where my windows were facing.
I have since been very scared of entering my apartment, because anyone can jump into my window and no one can see them. In the day time, no one can see what is going on at the back of the apartment, in the night time, there is no light and it is pitch black.

Help...Is there a case for this? Is it negligent on the part of the landlord for not providing greater security measure since i am at the back of the apartment, next to stairs and the wire mesh is easily snapped off? Or is it my negligence not to lock the window? I am certain tenants do not always lock their windows.

BelizeBreeze

pettylumber said:
I just moved into a new apartment about 1.5 weeks ago and 3 days into it, my apartment got broken into and about $6000 worth of stuff stolen. I have made a police report and they've done all the necessary stuff (ie. fingerprinting, looking up similar crimes etc.) but to no avail.

The burglar broke in throw the back window sometime during 8.30 am to 10.30pm. I am 100% certain that I closed my windows, and it looks shut to anyone, however, i did not lock them. The burglar snapped off the wire mesh and pushed the windows and jumped it. My back window is right next to a flight of steps and easily accessible by standing on the steps and jumping in. There is no back light at the back of the building where my windows were facing.
I have since been very scared of entering my apartment, because anyone can jump into my window and no one can see them. In the day time, no one can see what is going on at the back of the apartment, in the night time, there is no light and it is pitch black.

Help...Is there a case for this? Is it negligent on the part of the landlord for not providing greater security measure since i am at the back of the apartment, next to stairs and the wire mesh is easily snapped off? Or is it my negligence not to lock the window? I am certain tenants do not always lock their windows.
Read the above (especially the bolded text).
YOU are responsible. PERIOD!

south

Round the claim of to $6350 it sounds better...

The person responsible is the alleged burglar and the person who did not lock the lockable window :rolleyes: ...

pettylumber said:

TooHot!

My back window is right next to a flight of steps and easily accessible by standing on the steps and jumping in. There is no back light at the back of the building where my windows were facing.
In the future...Lock your windows

The burgler saw you coming, (seeing as how it happened 3 days after move in)...probably watched you move in. I would even hazard to guess it was someone in the building.

They have these neat devices now...They are lights that are activated by movement. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to install them and it may prevent any more "intrusions" from the window. Get one.

Also.. acquiring an alarm system may be good ....you know...for those scarry day time hours.

Round the claim of to $6350 it sounds better...
I was thinking $6500...you know for pain and suffering....fear can be a debilitating thing!

Ummm, shouldn't the monetary claim equal the allowable limit of the local court? :)

No one's mentioned renter's insurance...get some.

ENASNI

acck

Sorry for your loss sorry for your lack of checking area situations.

If you want to move because you do not feel safe then...
Move take the lease loss and the lesson.
It happens to more than we want to know.. May happen to more than 60% that have posted here or already has so do not leash you hatred on us... we have heard, it have it in our past or future and do not want backlash.
Good luck ... sorry for your loss.

( hey friends... do you think that stymied her from any kind of really giving us some crapola... I do not know... poor thing ... she is in a little bit of a "WHAT THE SHIOT" situation maybe later... I feel bad for her... Oh well... we gave her the facts Jack.. )

Hell, the doberman does not like me on the computer and is breaking my ear drums for a petting or something gotta go. Sheesh.. he is loud.. Can you hear him... OY.

Nope...can't hear him.

His barking is being drowned out by the barking of my spoiled brats...a Rottie Mix and a Boxer. You don't know loud. :D

TooHot!

queenofsand said:
Nope...can't hear him.

His barking is being drowned out by the barking of my spoiled brats...a Rottie Mix and a Boxer. You don't know loud. :D
And that noise is being drowned out by a 5 and 7 year old not wanting to return to school after the hurricane.....They both seen to have stomachs that hurt......

Obviously, it is a virus that will extend until I drop them off at school.... ;)

ENASNI

sheesh

queenofsand said:
Nope...can't hear him.

I hope to God when I put in my apps the Terrier mix does not put in Is it a Pitbill? anymore.. sheesh.. she is so docile.. she has a thing against cats.. well.. she is a dog.. but when she comes against them she just growls and stares.. like "what now"?? looks at me and I say.. "sit" she sits and then she is dissappointed and I say lets move on.. but she got to DO Something. I would wrather have her then the dog (my roomies dog) under the desk licking my lotion off that is scared of the Sea World "sparks" just being pathetic than the one that will not let the doberman on my futon. But My Vet says she has retriever in her.. so .. shiot.. I will go with that.. The "ears"
Anyway.. For legal advice.. ( let me swipe this dog for licking off all the lotion and get her out of the computer room.. OUT>> OUT>>> )

The tenant needs to know what kind of neighborhood they are going to be living in. Take the appropriate precautions Get the right baseball bat or golf-club for their grip... or if not at home.. realize where their home lies. I just had a friend look for a home where there was a dead body under a yellow body bag up the block where he was looking.. he just passed that one on by and he is six foot four.... Research.. previous research... hindsight is 20/20 or whatever that saying is..

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">