• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's Entitled to Proceeds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaulaFSPS

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My mother passed away in 2003. Shortly before she passed, I receive a call from an insurance agent stating that the life insurance policy that she'd been paying on since 1991 for my sister was getting ready to lapse. The agent expressed concern that we were going to let a relatively cheap but high dollared amount policy go, and I offered to pick up the payments. I knew my mother's income had significantly decreased due to her being out of work and her illness, so I thought she'd be happy. However, due to family issues and dynamics I don't care to discuss right now, instead of being happy, she almost went ballistic when I told her what had happened eventhough she was still the policy owner. Needless to say, continued to have the payments drafted from my account, and I never brought it up to her again. She died a few months later, and I asked my sister to send in a form to begin making her own payments. Again and again, she has delayed or put off doing this. I've been making payments since 2003. Our mother was the policy owner, and is listed as the beneficiary in the event of my sister's death. My question is this:

When my sister passes, will I be able to file a death claim for her? Will the money go to the estate of my mother, to be distributed between me and my sister's kids? Or will the policy be null and void?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">