• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Redriderrc51

New Jersey

On Friday I had my $13,000 motorcycle stolen from the front of my apartment. (No full coverage or renter's ins.). Reported to local police.
On Saturday the police found and impounded the motorcycle (in a body shop they have a contract with) and charged and released the suspect. They also notified me of the recovery and asked me to pick it up on Monday.
Later that night the motorcycle was RE-STOLEN from the impound lot (body shop) and has yet to be found.
Sunday morning the police called me and said "Bad news, someone broke into our impound lot and stole your bike".

My question is - Is anyone liable for the second theft? If so, then who (City [police], Body shop, Suspect)? Since the bike was in the possesion of the police when it was taken again...

I really need help on this. I'm all alone in this battle. Should I get a lawyer? I can't seam to get a straight answer from anyone. Please help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">