• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's property is it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soulslayer

What is the name of your state? VA/NC

I am the executrix of my late fathers estate. I have been battling with his widow for months to close out his estate. It has truly been a battle.

I am at the last stages now, and wish to go collect my sentimental items from the household property on Friday. We have already both signed a settlement agreement stating that I get those items, and she is responsible for securing financing to purchase the house/motorcycle, etc. Until said time that the financing is secured, those items are mine.

She has a few small titles that she wants me to sign over to her (a trailer, etc) and has asked that I do that while I'm in town for the day. I have already told her that I do not have time to drive all over town to sign papers, and for her to send them to me, I'll have them notarized and send them right back. She is now stating that "I think you're stalling on purpose. If you don't sign the papers while you're here, I'll refure to give you the items in the agreement." She also said her lawyer told her she could do this.

Those items are mine, legally. The house is also mine legally, as she has not secured financing.

Does she have any legal right to keep those items from me if time is not available to track down and meet a notary? I still have access to the house and those items whenever I choose, correct? Should I go ahead and contact a deputy to accompany me to the house when I pick them up?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">