• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who's responsible when theres no life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emorrison

What is the name of your state? New York
my dad remarried almost 5 years ago and him and his wife were living in florida. in may of 2002 his health was bad and came back to live with me to see his doctors here in ny. his health got worse and he was not able to go back to florida. he died on dec 14 2002. his wife did not come up for the funeral. he had no health or life insurance. i was forced to put his funeral on my charge card. his wife remains in florida. legally is she responsible for his funeral costs and can I try to get the money from her. it was $8,500.00.
i greatly appreciate an answer.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

emorrison said:
What is the name of your state? New York
my dad remarried almost 5 years ago and him and his wife were living in florida. in may of 2002 his health was bad and came back to live with me to see his doctors here in ny. his health got worse and he was not able to go back to florida. he died on dec 14 2002. his wife did not come up for the funeral. he had no health or life insurance. i was forced to put his funeral on my charge card. his wife remains in florida. legally is she responsible for his funeral costs and can I try to get the money from her. it was $8,500.00.
i greatly appreciate an answer.

My response:

Yes, she's ultimately responsible for the debt.

But, good luck getting it from her. If she didn't fly up for his funeral, what makes you think that she'll pay you for the funeral costs?

IAAL

F

franklin2003

And to make matters worse she probably has cleaned out and sold anything of value in Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">