• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whose car is it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vato121

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin

My dad is on the title of my sisters car as a co-owner. She died 14 months ago. Her husband is driving her car. He has not switched the title to his name. Is my dad legally responsible for any accidents his son in law causes? Can my dad take the car legally from my sisters husband?

LdiJ

vato121 said:
What is the name of your state?Wisconsin

My dad is on the title of my sisters car as a co-owner. She died 14 months ago. Her husband is driving her car. He has not switched the title to his name. Is my dad legally responsible for any accidents his son in law causes? Can my dad take the car legally from my sisters husband?
The car is legally the property of your dad. Your dad is legally responsible for any accident that the son in law might cause....or depending on WI state law, partially responsible.

I would strongly recommend that if your dad doesn't have insurance on the car, that he GET insurance on the car. I also recommend that he do whatever he can to either take possession of the car, or force the son in law to title it in his own name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">