• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why can't all cases be located on Pacer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GA. After reviewing a decision in Court of Appeals, I went to find the case on Pacer to review the case in detail. It's just not there.

Would this most likely mean that the records have been sealed?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Pacer is a system that contains only federal cases. Was the decision decided in a federal court of appeals, or Georgia court of appeals? If the latter, the trial court materials would not be on Pacer.

Pacer is a system that contains only federal cases. Was the decision decided in a federal court of appeals, or Georgia court of appeals? If the latter, the trial court materials would not be on Pacer.
It was Georgia court of appeals...

Thank you for being so kind @Taxing Matters for pointing out the obvious here and for taking the time to thoroughly answer questions, including dumb ones like mine. I had like three hours sleep last night.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Thank you for being so kind @Taxing Matters for pointing out the obvious here and for taking the time to thoroughly answer questions, including dumb ones like mine. I had like three hours sleep last night.
As TM pointed out, PACER is for federal courts.

Many states have searchable databases for some of their courts. Perhaps GA Appeals docket/case inquiry system could be useful, although you are probably already familiar with it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

You're welcome. Such things are not always obvious to the non lawyer. With all the different courts in this country it can get a bit confusing at times.

As TM pointed out, PACER is for federal courts.

Many states have searchable databases for some of their courts. Perhaps GA Appeals docket/case inquiry system could be useful, although you are probably already familiar with it.
Actually I didn't have that link and have not ventured too far outside of Pacer because my case is in federal court. That is very helpful.

As @Taxing Matters commented on another thread, litigating pro se is extremely difficult and I concede that I would not recommend it to anyone. But sometimes people are left with no choice if they want to see justice served. Knowing myself, I rather try and lose than to never try at all.

For the volunteers that try to help where they can, it is sincerely and deeply appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">