• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why do I lose vacation days each year?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

golfer70

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

My employer is in N.J., but my location is in Southern Cal. Up until last year, we were allowed to cash out up to 10 days of vacation at the end of each year. Since I'm in sales and get 30 days a year, I don't have enough time to take all the days. Our new company policy states that we can no longer cash out any vacation time, and further more, no matter how many days we have left on December 31st, you lose them all but 5, and those 5 days will carry over to the next year. This year I had 15 days on the 31st, and on January 1 I lost all of them except the 5 that carried over.

Is this lawful?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI - It WOULD be legal in NJ. The company may not realize that the law of the state you work in takes precedence, or may have forgotten that the law in CA is different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">