• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why does the papers take so long to be done?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martha hart

HI, I'm waiting for my I-485 almost a year ago. I got married in November, 2007 and they start working on my papers on March, 2008. Why is that is taking so long? I started my papers in Maui, HI. But then, I moved to Three Rivers, MI, so I moved my case to the Detroit,MI office. I used to have an attorney, I payed him what he asked me and now he doesn't even pick up the phone. I really don't know what to do, please if somebody can tell me what can I do. ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Lexxi2006

HI, I'm waiting for my I-485 almost a year ago. I got married in November, 2007 and they start working on my papers on March, 2008. Why is that is taking so long? I started my papers in Maui, HI. But then, I moved to Three Rivers, MI, so I moved my case to the Detroit,MI office. I used to have an attorney, I payed him what he asked me and now he doesn't even pick up the phone. I really don't know what to do, please if somebody can tell me what can I do. ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

There are thousands if not millions of people waiting longer than you. Have you called USCIS or registered your case online to get updates from CRIS? I got my green and after waiting for almost 7 years. Hang in there.

martha hart

I can't beleive you were waiting for yours that much! but when i was living in hawaii, a friend of mine got her green card after 4 month of getting married, that's why i don't understand! another thing, can i work "legal" while i'm waiting for my papers? or i have to wait? Every single month I call USCIS but they tell me the same thing and I call my lawyer and he just doesn't do anything anymore, the last time i talked to him he told me that he will send a letter to them telling them about my case. All this is just so frustating!

evcalyptos

It's taking longer because you moved.

Have you confirmed that your case is in Detroit?
Can you appreciate that Detroit is a MUCH huger office than Honolulu?
You can look up the estimated processing times for Detroit at uscis.gov and you can make an InfoPass appointment there also to go in and check on your case in person.

You have not been waiting very long, btw. It is normal for the I-485 to take 6-12 months and that is without moving, which is more difficult than you thought.

martha hart

My lawyer supposed to change my address, he wrote a letter and then, when I was here in Michigan already, I called again and they didn't change yet so, I changed my information. If I am waiting for my papers can I work with my social security card? or I should wait for my green card? Can I get in trouble for that?

evcalyptos

My lawyer supposed to change my address, he wrote a letter and then, when I was here in Michigan already, I called again and they didn't change yet so, I changed my information. If I am waiting for my papers can I work with my social security card? or I should wait for my green card? Can I get in trouble for that?
You must have an Employment Authorization Document or a Green Card to work; your Social Security card does not give you work permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">