• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why isn't a picture required for the copyright of a visual item

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

In this case it is a piece of jewelry that I have been working on for over 6 years. When I went to the copyright section of the U.S. government copyright office there was an application to fill out to copyright a visual item of artistic work. But there was no requirement for a picture of it. So how do I copyright it with only a name?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

In this case it is a piece of jewelry that I have been working on for over 6 years. When I went to the copyright section of the U.S. government copyright office there was an application to fill out to copyright a visual item of artistic work. But there was no requirement for a picture of it. So how do I copyright it with only a name?
If you have a three-dimensional work, such as jewelry, you send a photograph of your work with your application, depicting the three-dimensional work as clearly and as accurately as is possible in two-dimensions.

This is, by the way, a requirement.

FlyingRon

You don't need to do anything with the the Copyright Office to obtain copyright. Copyright is obtained by creating the work in tangible form.
What you are talking about is REGISTRATION of that work.

What you are talking about is mandatory deposit which is distinct from the application process. Otherwise Quincy has nailed it. More detail here http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ40.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">