• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why the owner treat me this way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Today I have a question and hope people can help me, thank you.
Today I ask the owner if it is possible that I can have a raise because I've been working here for 7 month and work very hard and can do most of the job required, but I don't have a chance to have a raise. The owner said the company pays you $8000/year for the health insurance PPO because of your age. I am 56. He asked me to look for a cheaper medical insurance or different policy like HMO for which the company could pay less the insurance my age, then the company can use part of the saved money to give me a raise.
I think a raise can not be combined with a lower my health insurance policy.

Is it right that the owner treat me this way for the raise questoin?
I want a raise but also no change of my health insurance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

eerelations

Your employer is not legally required to give you raise. Your boss suggested a legal process for you to get a raise anyway; if you're not interested in pursuing that process, then you don't get a raise. And again, that's perfectly legal.

pattytx

You've only been there 7 months and you're asking for a raise? :eek: Do you know how many long-term employees haven't had a raise in years? Have you heard about the economy being in the tank?:rolleyes:

FLRD

Wow 7 months and wanting a raise. In this economy I haven't had a raise in 4 years and my wife hasn't received one in 2 years. If fact I know a bunch of people who took pay cuts over the last several years just to remain employed. You might want to consider taking your employer up on their offer if you can find cheaper health care.

HomeGuru

Today I ask the owner if it is possible that I can have a raise because I've been working here for 7 month and work very hard and can do most of the job required, but I don't have a chance to have a raise. The owner said the company pays you $8000/year for the health insurance PPO because of your age. I am 56. He asked me to look for a cheaper medical insurance or different policy like HMO for which the company could pay less the insurance my age, then the company can use part of the saved money to give me a raise.

I want a raise but also no change of my health insurance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: if you are making less than the minimum wage, then yes, you need a raise.

mlane58

It just goes to show you that the entitlement attitude isn't only reserved for the younger generation. As one of our lustrous seniors would say (SJ) ask for the farm settle for a goat, but in the OP's case they think they have a goat and think the farm is owed to them.

Last edited:

Antigone*

In this economy you are lucky that you are not getting a pay cut or a furlough:cool: Not to mention that about 10 million other people might happily be in your position.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">