• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

widow needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hugger98

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My husband passed away in october of 2003 - his father passed away last week. on his father's bank accounts they were all listed as POD (his two sisters and my husband) The family is taking my deceased husband's share and splitting it between his 5 children. I feel that my deceased husband's hospital bills and irs bills (which I am paying on) should be taken out first.
Please advise on what to do or if there is anything I can do?

BlondiePB

hugger98 said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

My husband passed away in october of 2003 - his father passed away last week. on his father's bank accounts they were all listed as POD (his two sisters and my husband) The family is taking my deceased husband's share and splitting it between his 5 children. I feel that my deceased husband's hospital bills and irs bills (which I am paying on) should be taken out first.
Please advise on what to do or if there is anything I can do?
What does the POD account say regarding a beneficiary that is deceased?

Dandy Don

Post your question to www.lawguru.com, since it is most unlikely that a Missouri attorney would be reading this message board.

You need to be consulting with a local probate attorney who can tell you whether or not your state law permits your husband to be paid a share of the estate or not. And if possible you need to get a copy of the father's will from the probate court county courthouse, if he left a will.

Problem is that some states allow a decedent's estate to be paid and others do not. Hope this has a good outcome for you.

BlondiePB

State statutes will NOT govern this because POD by-passes probate. What does govern this is the bank records on the account. In order to obtain the bank records, an attorney is required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">