• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Widow's vs divorced spouse benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helenh_36

I was divorced after 16 years of marriage. My second marriage ended when my husband died In 2014. I will be 60 next year. Can i receive widow's benefits, and then switch to divorced spouse benefits at full retirement age?

LdiJ

I was divorced after 16 years of marriage. My second marriage ended when my husband died In 2014. I will be 60 next year. Can i receive widow's benefits, and then switch to divorced spouse benefits at full retirement age?
I do not know the answer to that question, but have you tried finding the information at ssa.gov?

Janke

No. Once you file on one husband at age 60, you are effectively filing on the other husband. You cannot restrict that application. SSA will decide which is higher and will pay it. You can, however, wait to file on your own record at full retirement age 66ish or even wait until 70 if you apply for widow's benefits before you turn age 62, which is the earliest year to file on your own record. SSA can help you sort this out.

FlyingRon

If we're talking SSA, you can get benefits on your last husband or when you reach FRA, on your own work history whichever is higher.
You can't get benefits on a divorced husband's history if YOU remarry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">