• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife died - who should receive benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crumb

What is the name of your state? UT

My wife passed away and I am now a single dad of 3 kids and working full time making decent money (greater than $50,000). I filed for social security since she worked for 10 years. They said only my children will receive benefits. I have read this "A mother or father who cares for a dependent child of the deceased worker can also receive a benefit." Does this mean I should also be included to receive benefits? Right now it doesn't matter since I hit the maximum with the 3 kids but once a couple kids get older that will change and I could be missing out on some benefits. Any insight into what that means? Is that only for the caring of step children?

LdiJ

My wife passed away and I am now a single dad of 3 kids and working full time making decent money (greater than $50,000). I filed for social security since she worked for 10 years. They said only my children will receive benefits. I have read this "A mother or father who cares for a dependent child of the deceased worker can also receive a benefit." Does this mean I should also be included to receive benefits? Right now it doesn't matter since I hit the maximum with the 3 kids but once a couple kids get older that will change and I could be missing out on some benefits. Any insight into what that means? Is that only for the caring of step children?
You will notice that it says "can also receive a benefit" rather than "will also receive a benefit". Your salary is above the limits for you to receive benefits.

LdiJ

I missed this when I replied to your post the first time. Right now the maximum benefits are divided between three children. That same amount of money will be divided between just two children when the oldest ages out.

Janke

The Annual Earnings Test applies for mothers and fathers benefits for child in care just as it applies to early retirement or early widower's (pre-full retirement age). In 2019 it is $17,640.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/rtea.html
$50,000 in earnings would probably reduce any father's benefits for child-in-care to zero.

The family max is like a pie or a pizza. Divide it into more slices, there is less per person. However, the last child eligible will only get 1/2 of the family max, not the full max like two or three or four would share.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">