• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife forged my signature to a 65k home equity loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eschka

What is the name of your state? Pa.

My wife forged my signature to a $65,000 home equity loan on property that is jointly owned by her and myself. Can I hold the bank liable for illegal lending practices and can I file charges against my wife for forgery. This matter was not brought to my attention until my employer issued me an AMEX corporated credit card for travel and it was listed on the credit report that accompanied the AMEX card. She can/will not show me evidence where the money was spent and I can not find any of the money in our bank accounts.

Any help would be appreciated, whats a man to do?

Veronica1228

eschka said:
What is the name of your state? Pa.

My wife forged my signature to a $65,000 home equity loan on property that is jointly owned by her and myself. Can I hold the bank liable for illegal lending practices and can I file charges against my wife for forgery. This matter was not brought to my attention until my employer issued me an AMEX corporated credit card for travel and it was listed on the credit report that accompanied the AMEX card. She can/will not show me evidence where the money was spent and I can not find any of the money in our bank accounts.

Any help would be appreciated, whats a man to do?
You can definitely file a police report against your wife, but to win a lawsuit against the bank you would probably have to prove that they knew your signature was forged and issued the note anyway.

I recently took out a HEL and was allowed to take the loan docs home for my co-signer/owner to sign and bring back. It's not always necessary for the loan officer to witness the signature.

Instead file the report against your wife, and notify the bank that you want your name removed from the note and this loan removed from your CR. However, they will still have a legitimate interest in your home.

Last edited:

eschka

Thxs Veronica 1228

Thanks Veronica 1228 for those words of wisdom , the wheels are in motion as I speak. The bank can keep their interest in the property because we are getting divorced, she's been having an affair with a fellow employee where she works and is moving him into the house the day after I move out. I should fight it out in court over the division of property but thats not my style.

Veronica1228

eschka said:
Thanks Veronica 1228 for those words of wisdom , the wheels are in motion as I speak. The bank can keep their interest in the property because we are getting divorced, she's been having an affair with a fellow employee where she works and is moving him into the house the day after I move out. I should fight it out in court over the division of property but thats not my style.
You're very welcome, but I suggest that you post your divorce scenario over in the Divorce Forum. I'd hate to see you get screwed over the home, and your ex sounds like she would do it too. A lawyer there can give you advice on hiring an attorney, what you can expect etc.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">