• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife holding back payments over my head for preveous child Insurance costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostlove99945

My divorce was in 2012 my x wife has now come to me saying that I owe her a huge amount of money for the child-rearing costs over the past 5 years. Pertaining to health insurance cost and things of this nature. I understand I am responsible for these things through the state of California. But is it lawfully allowed for her to let these years Stack Up or am I to be charged for these costs annually?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My divorce was in 2012 my x wife has now come to me saying that I owe her a huge amount of money for the child-rearing costs over the past 5 years. Pertaining to health insurance cost and things of this nature. I understand I am responsible for these things through the state of California. But is it lawfully allowed for her to let these years Stack Up or am I to be charged for these costs annually?
You know you owe them. You should have paid them all along. What responsibility do you have? OH yeah. Apparently none due to your question.

Lostlove99945

You know you owe them. You should have paid them all along. What responsibility do you have? OH yeah. Apparently none due to your question.
Are you a lawyer? If you think that small paragraph sums up everything that is transpired throughout this divorce over the last five years sure the wrong guy to be helping anyone with anything! There has been a lot of things that I've done over and above for my daughter that I didn't have to do as far as a marital agreement is concerned. I'm just asking a question. Let me simplify it for you. If she is going to legally request payment for the past 5 years is it legal for her to do so versus making arrangements for me to pay annually?

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think the point she (and yes, she is an attorney) is trying to make is that you knew the child was incurring costs that you would be responsible for. Why did you not take some responsibility and ask for the bills instead of waiting to see if they would go away without your ever having to pay them? Don't be silly, of course that's what you were doing.

Lostlove99945

I think the point she (and yes, she is an attorney) is trying to make is that you knew the child was incurring costs that you would be responsible for. Why did you not take some responsibility and ask for the bills instead of waiting to see if they would go away without your ever having to pay them? Don't be silly, of course that's what you were doing.
No everything I did extra for her like paying for her car 100 % also car insurance purchasing her car giving her a gas card and many many other things including trips to the stores to purchase before and after school needs I've been anything but a deadbeat dad and I know that's the direction you guys would like to place this but that is not the case at all. I'm afraid anything that I have purchased and or given to her will not be calculated to my favor because the majority of what I have given has been in cash and not so traceable. Again the only question I'm asking is does she have the ability to wait five years to come up with these charges? Or are there laws stating that thing should have been put place and paid for annually?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is calling you a deadbeat dad. But you did know that there were insurance costs which you didn't ask about and knew you would have to pay for. What other conclusion are we to come to except that you were trying to avoid payment?

I am unaware of any law that says charges are voided unless you are provided with them annually. If I am wrong I am sure someone will tell me.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No everything I did extra for her like paying for her car 100 % also car insurance purchasing her car giving her a gas card and many many other things including trips to the stores to purchase before and after school needs I've been anything but a deadbeat dad and I know that's the direction you guys would like to place this but that is not the case at all. I'm afraid anything that I have purchased and or given to her will not be calculated to my favor because the majority of what I have given has been in cash and not so traceable. Again the only question I'm asking is does she have the ability to wait five years to come up with these charges? Or are there laws stating that thing should have been put place and paid for annually?
Yes. Yes she does.

I would be very surprised if there was a judge who would sign off on a divorce with minor children is there were no orders included addressing the issue of child support. So, what exactly *does* it say in your divorce decree about child support?

Child support, as outlined in the decree, is a court order, not a suggestion.

Yes, if you have no paper trail of paying that support, she can go to court and ask for that money, and get it awarded in a judgement. Even if it's 5 years. Even if it's 10 years. You can also lose your license and be otherwise inconvenienced.

It was your choice to pay in cash and not leave a paper trail.

As an FYI: it's often easier on both parties to go through the state. That way, it's very clear what you have paid. It helps to keep both sides honest.

Oh, and you can respond with a request for to modify cs downward. I would advise against that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wrong. You gifted her the car insurance and the gas cards and whatever else. That doesn't get you out of a court order. You were on notice. Expect to pay for it. Things you have given outside the court order DO NOT COUNT. They are GIFTS. They are NOTHING in relation to the court order. You screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">