• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife left house 3 months ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smitty1323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
3 months ago I told my 22 yr old stepson he had to leave the house because we got into an altercation and he disrespected me .Now he went to his grandfathers house around the corner.because I asked him to leave, my wife also left because I put him out.Well she has not come back to stay yet.And I found out she contacted a lawyer.No one has contacted me yet.Although she left the house all the bills are still being paid and she comes by while Im at work to get the mail.So my question is what are my rights as of now .What should I do or expect next.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
3 months ago I told my 22 yr old stepson he had to leave the house because we got into an altercation and he disrespected me .Now he went to his grandfathers house around the corner.because I asked him to leave, my wife also left because I put him out.Well she has not come back to stay yet.And I found out she contacted a lawyer.No one has contacted me yet.Although she left the house all the bills are still being paid and she comes by while Im at work to get the mail.So my question is what are my rights as of now .What should I do or expect next.
Rights with regard to...what?
Do about...what?
Expect next...a divorce, or reconciliation, or something in between.

smitty1323

Do about...what?
Well lets say separation.Will I get anything about that from a lawyer or will she go straight for divorce.She wont talk to me so I have no idea what is going on.

Zigner

Do about...what?
Well lets say separation.Will I get anything about that from a lawyer or will she go straight for divorce.She wont talk to me so I have no idea what is going on.
I am not trying to be snarky, but there is no way any of us can guess what she will do.

Last edited:

latigo

If the only reason she left and won't speak to you is because you tossed her deadbeat adult son, then I'd look upon her absence and silence as a blessing.

smitty1323

If the only reason she left and won't speak to you is because you tossed her deadbeat adult son, then I'd look upon her absence and silence as a blessing.
How long can she stay away from house if she is looking for legal separation or divorce.

Zigner

How long can she stay away from house if she is looking for legal separation or divorce.
As long as she wants.

I really don't know what you are looking for from us. Do you want a divorce? Do you want a separation. You need to decide what you want and then ask for help.

Bali Hai

Your rights are to do what you think best, i.e.,

1. You can get your own lawyer and start the divorce process if she hasn't already. If she has, you will be better off with legal counsel.

2. You can sit on your computer and ask strangers what to expect.

Expect that likely you will be served with a divorce complaint.

single317dad

Damn guys you could be a little more compassionate and less sarcastic.
Zigner summed it up nicely: you haven't asked an (answerable) question. You haven't answered the question he posed: What do you want?

If you want a divorce, go file for one. You can do that without any assistance from your wife.

If you want to reconcile with your wife, go give it your best. You'll require her cooperation for that.

If you want something else, please state your exact desire so someone can assist you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I THINK what the OP is asking is, after how long an absence will the wife have lost all rights to the house?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">