• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife secretly recording doctor, including at work... big deal or no?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candice832

What is the name of your state? MS

Need opinions on this, for me it sounds like a big deal, but no one else seems to think so. Involves my dad and his divorce.

(1) The wife called one of his friends pretending to be from his hospital and pretending to investigate sexual misconduct of my dad and asked the friend if they had an affair. The friend was never seen in person with my dad and the friend hung up. Wife started texting her next, admitted she wasn't from the hospital and offered the friend her entire divorce settlement if the friend would come to court and say they had an affair. Friend shared the texts with dad.
(2) Through the discovery, we found out the wife had 4 hidden cameras in the house for years, one hidden in digital photo frame (google nest hub) that my dad found, 2 in bedrooms dad never found and the last was spy software installed on dad's work computer at home. Wife's son did this for her. There is nothing in any videos, just dad occasionally complaining about the wife's anger issues. Spy ware installed on the work computer just shows dad facetiming women friends during lunch break (think the wife is saying that means he's cheating? lol), but obviously the wife had the ability to listen to his patients and must have gotten the friend's number from his work computer because my dad never talked to her on his personal phone.

Now....
(1) when dad showed the bribery texts to his lawyer, the lawyer didn't seem to care much. Eventually the lawyer sent a cease and desist letter to both the wife and wife's lawyer but only after dad told him to.
(2) Told dad he needs to report it to the hospital, but dad is too scared to and feels he might get in trouble (why would he when he had no part in it?), but dad was all in about having his lawyer report it, so I think dad is just scared to. But when we suggested it to our lawyer, he never responded. Dad meets with him this week and we can reask, but I don't think his lawyer wants to report it either, also he's friends with the wife's lawyer so he want to get him trouble
(3) Wife's lawyer told dad's lawyer that the wife was recording him, but dad's lawyer never told him about it till after we brought up the bribery texts. Even after sending wife's lawyer the cease and desist letter, a month and half later he sends in these illegal recording in the wife's discovery... When my lawyer got the discovery he asked what are these videos, it's literally dad talking on the phone for hours and the wife's lawyer said there isn't much, but the wife insisted they send those. Wife's lawyer is a public defendant, has admitted he can't stand the wife, but for the wife's lawyer to be involved in a rich doctors divorce is a once in a life time (financially) opportunity for him, so I think he's doing whatever the wife says so he doesn't lose the wife.

Anyways, I think it's a big deal and would expect the hospital to get a search warrant to find out what all the wife recorded, what patients info she has, etc. I could convince my dad to report it but given that neither lawyer is doing anything about it, I'm kind of losing hope. Wanted other's opinions.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Need opinions on this, for me it sounds like a big deal, but no one else seems to think so. Involves my dad and his divorce.

(1) The wife called one of his friends pretending to be from his hospital and pretending to investigate sexual misconduct of my dad and asked the friend if they had an affair. The friend was never seen in person with my dad and the friend hung up. Wife started texting her next, admitted she wasn't from the hospital and offered the friend her entire divorce settlement if the friend would come to court and say they had an affair. Friend shared the texts with dad.
Let's start with none of this is YOUR business. Wife lied to an individual. That is not illegal. None of that is.

(2) Through the discovery, we found out the wife had 4 hidden cameras in the house for years, one hidden in digital photo frame (google nest hub) that my dad found, 2 in bedrooms dad never found and the last was spy software installed on dad's work computer at home. Wife's son did this for her. There is nothing in any videos, just dad occasionally complaining about the wife's anger issues. Spy ware installed on the work computer just shows dad facetiming women friends during lunch break (think the wife is saying that means he's cheating? lol), but obviously the wife had the ability to listen to his patients and must have gotten the friend's number from his work computer because my dad never talked to her on his personal phone.
Okay? And? You are totally overinvolved.

Now....
(1) when dad showed the bribery texts to his lawyer, the lawyer didn't seem to care much. Eventually the lawyer sent a cease and desist letter to both the wife and wife's lawyer but only after dad told him to.
Bribery? Nope. That is not what that is. It was an offer for testimony. The weight of such testimony would be minimal.

(2) Told dad he needs to report it to the hospital, but dad is too scared to and feels he might get in trouble (why would he when he had no part in it?), but dad was all in about having his lawyer report it, so I think dad is just scared to. But when we suggested it to our lawyer, he never responded. Dad meets with him this week and we can reask, but I don't think his lawyer wants to report it either, also he's friends with the wife's lawyer so he want to get him trouble
Dad did not take proper precautions to safeguard HIPAA information. That is a problem for your father. He had a part in it. Why do you have a lawyer in this divorce? Or is this your dad's lawyer? Friends with the wife's lawyer? And? Nothing wrong with that. Most attorneys are friends with another. You don't have friends at work?

(3) Wife's lawyer told dad's lawyer that the wife was recording him, but dad's lawyer never told him about it till after we brought up the bribery texts. Even after sending wife's lawyer the cease and desist letter, a month and half later he sends in these illegal recording in the wife's discovery...
Under what law are you stating these are illegal recordings?

When my lawyer got the discovery he asked what are these videos, it's literally dad talking on the phone for hours and the wife's lawyer said there isn't much, but the wife insisted they send those. Wife's lawyer is a public defendant, has admitted he can't stand the wife, but for the wife's lawyer to be involved in a rich doctors divorce is a once in a life time (financially) opportunity for him, so I think he's doing whatever the wife says so he doesn't lose the wife.
WHY is YOUR lawyer getting anything? Because quite frankly YOUR lawyer is not entitled to anything in your father's divorce.
Wife's lawyer is NOT a public defendant. Divorces do not get appointed counsel. Wife's lawyer wants to be involved in a rich doctor's divorce because it is once in a life time for him? Are you crazy? You have an over inflated sense of ego about the importance of your family. Divorces are not done on contingency.

Anyways, I think it's a big deal and would expect the hospital to get a search warrant to find out what all the wife recorded, what patients info she has, etc. I could convince my dad to report it but given that neither lawyer is doing anything about it, I'm kind of losing hope. Wanted other's opinions.
The hospital cannot get a search warrant. What are you talking about? Search warrants are for government agencies. The hospital is not the government. You are totally over involved. And totally ignorant to the reality of the courts and divorces.

quincy

Now....
(3) Wife's lawyer told dad's lawyer that the wife was recording him, but dad's lawyer never told him about it till after we brought up the bribery texts. Even after sending wife's lawyer the cease and desist letter, a month and half later he sends in these illegal recording in the wife's discovery... When my lawyer got the discovery he asked what are these videos, it's literally dad talking on the phone for hours and the wife's lawyer said there isn't much, but the wife insisted they send those. Wife's lawyer is a public defendant, has admitted he can't stand the wife, but for the wife's lawyer to be involved in a rich doctors divorce is a once in a life time (financially) opportunity for him, so I think he's doing whatever the wife says so he doesn't lose the wife.

Yes. It could be a “big deal.” It is good that your dad has an attorney to help him handle the messiness of the divorce.

His attorney, by the way, has probably told your dad that the less he says to others (including you), the better it will be for everyone.

commentator

The last kind of "help" your dad needs in this whole thing is you, an actually uninvolved bystander, with NO legal knowledge, just a lot of opinions and ideas about how you think things are supposed to work. It is entirely possible that if you get over-involved, and start issuing orders, suggestions, demands for action or information, your father's attorney might drop him as a client, losing all the money he has paid already. Listen to the lawyers on this site such as Ohiogal and accept that this is none of your business, the attorney knows more than you do, and you need to be quiet and let your dad go through this without your input.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Let's start with none of this is YOUR business. Wife lied to an individual. That is not illegal. None of that is.

Okay? And? You are totally overinvolved.

Bribery? Nope. That is not what that is. It was an offer for testimony. The weight of such testimony would be minimal.
Moreover, Dad already has an account here and has posted on the subject. Either that, or there are a lot of doctors with wives secretly recording them.

Of course, showing that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, finding that thread is difficult.

Just Blue

Moreover, Dad already has an account here and has posted on the subject. Either that, or there are a lot of doctors with wives secretly recording them.

Of course, showing that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, finding that thread is difficult.
Can you send me the link?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I went looking for that and couldn't find it. I knew I had read it before.

quincy

In case there are others who are involved in this Mississippi divorce drama who are curious about the laws that may or may not have been violated:

Here is a link to Mississippi recording laws (overview by Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press):
https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/mississippi/

And potentially violated are defamation and tortious interference laws, the elements of which are outlined in McKlemurry v Thomas linked below:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5914f35fadd7b04934981ce5

I vaguely remember a similar thread but I don’t think it was a Mississippi thread.:unsure:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In case there are others who are involved in this Mississippi divorce drama who are curious about the laws that may or may not have been violated:

Here is a link to Mississippi recording laws (overview by Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press):
https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/mississippi/

And potentially violated are defamation and tortious interference laws, the elements of which are outlined in McKlemurry v Thomas linked below:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5914f35fadd7b04934981ce5

I vaguely remember a similar thread but I don’t think it was a Mississippi thread.:unsure:
I can't find a thread from any state on this forum that is similar and yet i remember one but it was the husband who wrote it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">