• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will an eviction go on my record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

Question.....my partner's name is on our condo lease, not mine. She was the breadwinner for our family and I was a stay at home mom. She has left since a few months and hasn't paid rent in two months even though she said she'd still take care of it. The landlords may do a 3 day and quit, which I totally don't blame them for. My question is can they also submit my name to collection agency and put an eviction on my credit even though according to the lease they will have to serve HER? If she cannot come up with the money I am thinking about cashing in some 401k money to take care of this as I do not want it on my credit!

Is a 3 day and quit a legal paper they have to give her or is it just them emailing or writing that they give her three days to pay?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

Question.....my partner's name is on our condo lease, not mine. She was the breadwinner for our family and I was a stay at home mom. She has left since a few months and hasn't paid rent in two months even though she said she'd still take care of it. The landlords may do a 3 day and quit, which I totally don't blame them for. My question is can they also submit my name to collection agency and put an eviction on my credit even though according to the lease they will have to serve HER? If she cannot come up with the money I am thinking about cashing in some 401k money to take care of this as I do not want it on my credit!

Is a 3 day and quit a legal paper they have to give her or is it just them emailing or writing that they give her three days to pay?
I googled a few times and I think I answered my own question. SInce I've resided here longer than 30 days i can be considered a co-tenant even though I'm not on the lease. :(

adjusterjack

I googled a few times and I think I answered my own question. SInce I've resided here longer than 30 days i can be considered a co-tenant even though I'm not on the lease. :(
That's right.

But even if you weren't a "tenant" and were just an occupant you would still be named for the "pay or quit" notice and subsequent eviction, though the LL might not have a cause of action against you for back rent.

So, yes, an eviction would go on your credit report since your name would be on the court file.

Consider leaving before it gets to that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">