• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will hospital call cops if they find drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ct2050

I was brought to a hospital in Ct from ny and when I got there they found drugs on me. There was no cops at the hospital and I was there for 2 days and the cops never came. Does the hospital usually call the cops if they find something on a patient. Would they do it while I was there or would they issue a warrant later.

Just Blue

I was brought to a hospital in Ct from ny and when I got there they found drugs on me. There was no cops at the hospital and I was there for 2 days and the cops never came. Does the hospital usually call the cops if they find something on a patient. Would they do it while I was there or would they issue a warrant later.
I know this is an obvious comment...But if you stopped doing drugs you would never have to ask this question. Ask the hospital if you can get into rehab...or a referral for one.

quincy

What sort of drugs did they find on you, Ct2050?

It appears to be the policy of most hospitals I researched to return all personal property to the patient upon discharge unless the patient is carrying illegal items and these illegal items can pose imminent harm to the patient or to others.

Although the illegal items could be held by the hospital and turned over to the police, it can be a question whether patient information can be disclosed to the police without violating privacy rules (HIPAA in particular).

Last edited:

Ct2050

It was heroin and at that hospital I tried to hide them in my rectum and the doctor seen me and got them. I talked to a Laywer and she said she don't know what will happen and I can't find anyone with experience on the subject. I did goto rehab to get help 6 months ago and have been clean till this happen. And wouldn't drugs qualify as a imminent threat to a patient if he just overdoed on them?

Last edited:

quincy

It was heroin and at that hospital I tried to hide them in my rectum and the doctor seen me and got them. I talked to a Laywer and she said she don't know what will happen and I can't find anyone with experience on the subject. I did goto rehab to get help 6 months ago and have been clean till this happen. And wouldn't drugs qualify as a imminent threat to a patient if he just overdoed on them?
If the hospital did not return the heroin to you (and I would be very surprised if they did), then the hospital can (and probably did) turn the heroin over to the police.

The hospital is restricted on what they can disclose about a patient and his medical history but it would not be a violation of your privacy rights or HIPAA to turn the illegal drugs over to the police and tell the police where the heroin was found.

What the police decide to do with all of this is anyone's guess but I suspect you might get a visit from the police at some point in time in the near future. If/when that happens, you should exercise your right to remain silent (say nothing to the police) and refer all questions to your attorney. And then you should contact your attorney.

You should continue with drug rehabilitation (if this latest incident does not result in your arrest and jail time), not only because of this recent overdose on drugs but also because of your problem with alcohol which resulted in your DUI arrests.

Ct2050

Thanks for the advice. I have been hearing it can go either way everyone I've talked to has no prior experience with a situation like this.

quincy

Thanks for the advice. I have been hearing it can go either way everyone I've talked to has no prior experience with a situation like this.
You will probably not run into too many people who have heroin hidden in their rectums that is discovered when they are taken to the hospital for an overdose.

The heroin itself is not part of a patient's private medical history. It can be turned over to the police without violating privacy laws.

What is disclosed to the police beyond that will be based on the professional judgment of those treating the patient and restricted by the laws that govern the privacy of patient health information and patient medical histories.

Again, if you are contacted by the police, say nothing but you are exercising your right to remain silent and all questions should be directed to your attorney. Then get an attorney.

Ct2050

You will probably not run into too many people who have heroin hidden in their rectums that is discovered when they are taken to the hospital for an overdose.

The heroin itself is not part of a patient's private medical history. It can be turned over to the police without violating privacy laws.

What is disclosed to the police beyond that will be based on the professional judgment of those treating the patient and restricted by the laws that govern the privacy of patient health information and patient medical histories.

Again, if you are contacted by the police, say nothing but you are exercising your right to remain silent and all questions should be directed to your attorney. Then get an attorney.
Do you think that most likely that the cops will issue a warrent?

Ct2050

I talked to a lawyer today out of the town it happen in and he said I would be protected against a possession charge through the Good Samaritan law. Has anyone heard of this?

quincy

I talked to a lawyer today out of the town it happen in and he said I would be protected against a possession charge through the Good Samaritan law. Has anyone heard of this?
The good Samaritan law could potentially be of help to a person who calls 911 on behalf of someone who has overdosed or who takes someone who has overdosed to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Were you the one who called 911 for emergency help for yourself? If so, why did you stick heroin in your rectum?

How much heroin was in your possession?

Are you on probation for your DUIs?

You said you were transported to a hospital in Connecticut, correct?

Here is a link to New York's Good Samaritan law: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/aids/general/opioid_overdose_prevention/good_samaritan_law.htm

Here is a link to Connecticut's Good Samaritan law: http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2011/title52/chap925/Sec52-557b.html

Last edited:

Ct2050

The good Samaritan law could potentially be of help to a person who calls 911 on behalf of someone who has overdosed or who takes someone who has overdosed to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Were you the one who called 911 for emergency help for yourself? If so, why did you stick heroin in your rectum?

How much heroin was in your possession?

Are you on probation for your DUIs?

You said you were transported to a hospital in Connecticut, correct?

Here is a link to New York's Good Samaritan law: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/aids/general/opioid_overdose_prevention/good_samaritan_law.htm

Here is a link to Connecticut's Good Samaritan law: http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2011/title52/chap925/Sec52-557b.html
I had 10 bags on me and yes I am on probation. The law says the person who called and the person overdoesing are both protected under the law.

quincy

I had 10 bags on me and yes I am on probation. The law says the person who called and the person overdoesing are both protected under the law.
You had ten bags of heroin hidden in your rectum? Ouch.

You do not fall under the good Samaritan law if you are on probation and/or have in your possession 8 ounces or more of a controlled substance.

I recommend again that you seek out the assistance of an attorney in your area and continue with your drug treatment.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">