• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I get criminal charges for credit card fraud? Need help ASAP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raj101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK
I have had an account at YYY with domain name XXXX dotcom and my debit card for a few years and this is the first time I received such a threatening message. So Between April-June 2018, I had received refunds for webcam sessions that were not satisfactory and had issues from the customer support. I also made another streamate account with domain name XXXX2 dotcom using a different credit card in April for convenience. Sometime in June, my second account was charged for some EM subscription which was also refunded once I confronted the customer support. So. I calculated all the refund amounts based on the receipts they sent me over which total to less than $300. Towards the end of June when I had asked for a refund after experiencing an unsatisfactory session, they issued me a refund and deleted my account stating that it is a fraud account(not sure how) because they have issued me too many refunds and also deleted my second account stating that the ip address of both accounts match.

The following is the email I received from the support staff recently:

Outstanding Balance
We have been notified by our billing company that they have processed a dispute from your card for $424.05.
We have logged your IP address, the chat logs, and all other information in regards to your use of YYY. This information will be submitted to the local law enforcement officials at the location of the IP address that we have verified with the Computer Crimes Department and if this proves to be you, you will be charged for felony credit card fraud and identity theft.
As a result of this fraud claim, this card has been blocked from being accepted at YYY and all other websites our billing provider handles. Your YYY account has also been closed and cannot be accessed.
We hope this was only a misunderstanding of the YYY terms of use, and we would prefer to avoid formalizing this process with your local law enforcement agency.
Again, your credit card is charged only when you access the pay areas of our site. The charges are a per minute charge and are clearly stated before you enter any pay areas.
On your YYY Account #XXXXXXXX, you currently have $424.05 in outstanding charges.
Make cashier's check or money order for $424.05 in US funds payable to:
ICF Technology, Inc Ref#XXXXXXXX
PERSONAL CHECKS OR CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

Please mail your cashier's check or money order in US funds to settle your account and avoid a police investigation:

SM Payment Processing Center
Ref# ########
P.O. Box 2468
Seattle, WA 98111-2468

Now, I am not sure whether this would affect my credit rating since I contacted my banks and they didn't see any refunds or charges of those supposed refunds on my statement but only saw charges for other purchases. Their charges usually come under the name ECHST.net. Also, after I emailed the streamate support, asking them to send me an itinerary of only all the refunds they issued me, they refused, and instead sent me an itinerary of all the charges, including the non disputed ones, they even told me that all the refunds given is not legitimate because I had broken site rules in only two out of the several other sessions, that I was issued excessive refunds for reasons that were inconsistent and inaccurate even though they issued refunds regardless, by rules broken I mean that things like, "attempting to contact model offsite" and "incest roleplays". Both happened during the sessions and had nothing to do with the disputes or the refunds. I was also given a warning to not try to contact models about their social media or phone number and was let go. The fact is that all the refunds aren't even more than $300 and they are demanding for $424.05 or else they would press criminal charges against me. I also didn't see any due date for the payment. Please, I need some advice about how to deal with this problem.

Last edited:

quincy

If you don't believe the charges are valid, you can refuse to pay and wait to be sued.

If served with a summons and complaint, you would be smart to have an attorney review the facts and help you respond to the complaint.

If you are contacted by a police detective, say nothing and hire an attorney.

It appears you not only violated the site's rules but could have caused the models some alarm.

(Your post was reported to have links removed)

Last edited:

FlyingRon

This is the second time he posted. He deleted a prior thread. Here was my response earlier...
It's easy to threaten things. I can almost bet this is a form letter sent out in the case of any time they realize there are multiple accounts when one has already been blocked for some reason.

Identity theft is not an issue if you didn't use someone else's identity (lying about your own isn't). However, this is probably there because theft of online services through identity theft happens quite a bit. Multiple credit card users at the same IP is a red flag.

Credit card fraud requires you to have misrepresented the use of the card with the intent to deprive the merchant of something. Again, it doesn't sound like it will do anything.

Actually, what they're doing here is ILLEGAL, but collectors are not ones to stay within the law. SM is a third party agency (i.e., not the business you dealt with originally). The FDCPA applies to them, and these threats are not only ILLEGAL under that but push criminal extortion.

Frankly, if your credit card company stands behind the chargeback you initially made, I'd ignore them (after making sure you did pay for any services you did legitimately use). I'd stay off that site from now on

quincy

The moderator might have deleted the previous thread rather than try to edit all that needed editing. :)

I believe raj101 has no choice BUT to stay off that site. His two accounts were deleted - and I suspect his IP address has been blocked as well.

raj101

So between July 2 to July 5 they deposited various amounts to both of my cards which total to less than $130. Keep in mind that all these deposits or refunds are of transactions that I had NEVER disputed, for instance they refunded a charge of $44.49 from a private chat session I did with a model back in January this year which I had never disputed and yet I see that amount deposited by them to my bank account. So on July 5th, I cancelled my card after telling my bank about this whole situation, and my bank has issued me new cards. Anyway, I need an advice on this as well, what should I do next?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">