• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will i have to give my wife half?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Que 182

What is the name of your state? Washington State
My wife left me four years ago and we have not filed for a divorce. My father is going to giving me a house and some land. Will my wife have a claim on any of the property?

LdiJ

Que 182 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State
My wife left me four years ago and we have not filed for a divorce. My father is going to giving me a house and some land. Will my wife have a claim on any of the property?
Possibly....why not just tell your father to wait, and you go ahead and file for divorce?

BelizeBreeze

The question here is whether property "belonging to" one of the parties should be included in the marital estate for purposes of an equitable division.

Generally, separate property acquired before the marriage or by gift or inheritance during the marriage may be excluded from the marital estate if neither the property nor its income has been used for the common benefit of the parties during their marriage.

If your father is adament about this, have him prepare the transfer deed in your name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">