• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I have to pay alimony to my husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teenwin

CALIFORNIA

I am going to divorce my husband. He is currently working but not on a regular basis due to a health condition which he has been to the doctor for. He wants to go on disability, which the doctor might agree to. My husband said that if he goes on disability I will have to pay spousal support since I make a lot more money than he does. Is this correct? If I file for divorce before he goes on disability will I still have to pay support?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

teenwin said:
CALIFORNIA

I am going to divorce my husband. He is currently working but not on a regular basis due to a health condition which he has been to the doctor for. He wants to go on disability, which the doctor might agree to. My husband said that if he goes on disability I will have to pay spousal support since I make a lot more money than he does. Is this correct? If I file for divorce before he goes on disability will I still have to pay support?

My response:

Sure you could. Remember "equal rights"? Well, there's also "equal liabilities" in California.

But, to give you any further particulars, I'd need far, far more information than which you've supplied here.

IAAL

W

WilliamPatrick

I know in Texas that a disabled spouse is almost always going to be awarded spousal support if there is a big difference in incomes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">