• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I lose my welfare and section 8 hud housing if i get married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anysa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I got married 3 weeks ago. I beneficiate from Welfare, Foodstamps and staying in a apartament provided from section 8. My husband does not live with me (because I was afraid of section 8) and has no income. Today I went on Welfare and I announced that I married. The welfare lady started screaming at me and asked me why I married someone who has income ... and said that he (my husband)or who maintains him (my husband)have to pay for me

Can someone help me to tell me what should I do?
Thank you

CSO286

I got married 3 weeks ago. I beneficiate from Welfare, Foodstamps and staying in a apartament provided from section 8. My husband does not live with me (because I was afraid of section 8) and has no income. Today I went on Welfare and I announced that I married. The welfare lady started screaming at me and asked me why I married someone who has income ... and said that he (my husband)or who maintains him (my husband)have to pay for me

Thank you
You simply have to tell the truth.

You have to report the change. You;ll also have to report the employment and income of your husband. That will be used in figuring what future benefits you might be entitled to.

Anysa

You simply have to tell the truth.

You have to report the change. You;ll also have to report the employment and income of your husband. That will be used in figuring what future benefits you might be entitled to.
Now, he has no income...but the lady from Welfare said that she doesn't need his papers because he should pay my "Welfare" and if he has no income, the person who sustains him must pay my "Welfare".... and, after this...she told me " why did you get married with somebody who has no income?" and then she kicked me out.

what should I do in my situation?

Silverplum

Thank you
Do the right thing.

http://www.gosection8.com/section_8_faq/what-are-responsibilities-tenant-through-housing-choice-voucher-program.aspx

http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/foradults/supplementalnutritionassistanceprogram/snapincomelimits/

justalayman

if your state has a continuing re-qualifcation (verification of status filled out on a regular basis) fill it out honestly and correctly. If there is no such regular filing, go back to the welfare office and tell them you want to amend your file to reflect your current status.

CSO286

Now, he has no income...but the lady from Welfare said that she doesn't need his papers because he should pay my "Welfare" and if he has no income, the person who sustains him must pay my "Welfare".... and, after this...she told me " why did you get married with somebody who has no income?" and then she kicked me out.

And where is he living? How is he being supported?

Perhaps one or both of you should seek employment.

Antigone*

I suggest both you and your new husband look for work and support yourselves. Why do the people of the great State of PA have to support you for an extended length of time?

Isis1

i'm confused as to why this social worker is yelling at you.

i've been on state aid from time to time while being in between jobs. i've walked in....filled out a form and the benefits stopped. real simple. benefits stopped.

now....the only thing that comes to mind is having to deal with the extra paperwork and investigation of rounding up your husband's information.

and um....WHAT THE FLYING DUCK is the purpose of getting married and not living in the same household?

Anysa

I suggest both you and your new husband look for work and support yourselves. Why do the people of the great State of PA have to support you for an extended length of time?
During the day we go at grocery, taking care of the kids, ...do stuff together...and at night he sleeps at his cousin house....his cousin doesn't support him, he goes there only to sleep.....I was afraid if Section 8 will know he is staying where I'm staying, they'll throw me out.... he can't work because he doesn't have Employment Authorization... After he gets his Employment Authorization, we want to move and buy a house just for us....but, my question is still standing....just for who knows the answer there's no need to complicate the discussion and speak off topic.

Last edited:

Silverplum

During the day we go at grocery, taking care of the kids, ...do stuff together...and at night he sleeps at his cousin house....his cousin doesn't support him, he goes there only to sleep.....I was afraid if Section 8 will know he is staying where I'm staying, they'll throw me out.... he can't work because he doesn't have Employment Authorization... After he gets his Employment Authorization, we want to move and buy a house just for us....but, my question is still standing....just for who knows the answer**************It's no need to complicate and speak off topic.
Alrighty, then.

:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The law requires that you report your change in marital status. The appropriate agencies will be able to advise you as to how it will affect your eligibility.

I am curious though. How do you intend to by a house if neither of you have income?

Anysa

The law requires that you report your change in marital status. The appropriate agencies will be able to advise you as to how it will affect your eligibility.

I am curious though. How do you intend to by a house if neither of you have income?
eventually, after he will get Employment Authorization...we will leave the apartment and we will move to rent.... but, now...how can I make that happen if the lady from Welfare doesn't want to speak with me or him......and doesn't want any papers?

justalayman

eventually, after he will get Employment Authorization...we will leave the apartment and we will move to rent.... but, now...how can I make that happen if the lady from Welfare doesn't want to speak with me or him......and doesn't want any papers?
you have described a very unlikely situation, regarding the welfare office employee. If it is true, talk to somebody else in the office. In any case, you have to figure out how to get your status changed lest you be in violation of the law and subject to penalties.

Isis1

someone correct me if i am wrong but.....

since they are legally married...isn't the home marital residence regardless of where he sleeps?

and BTW....if you continue to collect welfare benefits...they will go after him to get their money back. so that house you plan on buying? not going to happen. he will owe the state money thousands of dollars and will have to pay that first.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">