• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will it be difficult to re-enter U.S. for me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Judyitzu

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX

I am a Ph.D. student and graduating soon. I am really eager to go back my home contry, Taiwan, for vacation. However, the status and Visa is my major consideration. Will I have troubles when I re-enter U.S.?

My OPT and EAD card have been approved (Sep 1, 2005 – Aug 31, 2006), and my F1 visa is good until Aug 16, 2006.

Some of my friends said it is fine, and some said I need to find a job and have a letter of job offer in order to come back. I am really confused.

I will greatly appreciate if someone can anwser my question!

Judy

janlin12

I am from Taiwan too~

Hi Judy,

I am not a lawyer, but I thought I may give you some ideas of my situation.

I graduated from a graduate school on 05/2005, and I went back to Taiwan for 2 months for vacation. I applied for OPT, but I received it while I was in Taiwan.(My great advisor mailed it to me!) I also have a job letter with me.

When I came back here at the end of June, the only thing that the officer looked is my I-20. No EAD! No job offer letter, nothing~ The same thing as b4 "the I-20". And I am here working now...

However, I am not sure if that is the case for everyone~! It risky... I quoat the following from Stanford university. U may wanna go check it out~!

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/icenter/visas/faq/post.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
27. I am traveling after I graduate (and after I receive the EAD), what documents do I need in order to re-enter the U.S.?

A. valid passport (Please see qt. #35)

B. valid visa stamp in passport (visa stamps may only be renewed outside of the U.S., ideally in your home country. Please see qt. #36) Note: Canadian citizens are not required to have a visa.

WARNING: Students who need apply for a new visa when they travel should be aware that because of government mandated name checks for all visa applicants, the issuance of visas now, in general, takes longer than it has in previous years.

C. original I-20 ID Student Copy, with the practical training "recommendation" written on page 3. Since you have been issued a SEVIS based I-20 already, you may also carry with you any previously issued I-20, but you will use the new OPT SEVIS based I-20 to enter the U.S..

D. signature for re-entry on page 3 of the SEVIS I-20 (IMPORTANT: once the student has applied for post-completion practical training, the signature is valid for only 6 months, not 1 year)

E. Employment Authorization Document (EAD) (see question #28)

F. proof of funding (if you have a job offer letter, keep it together with your I-20. If you do not have a job offer, and you travel for a brief period, you should carry with you a bank statement that will reflect enough funds to cover your living expenses while you are in the U.S.

G. Evidence of a job offer in the form of a letter from your employer that states that you will be employed by that company for the period indicated on your EAD.

Hopefully u can go back to Taiwan and come back here~! Good Luck~

Sandra

Judyitzu

Thank you very much!!!

Dear Sandra:

Nice to know you and thank you for the opinions!

I am preparing the oral examination and so exhausted. I have not gone back Taiwan for almost 4 years, so I really want to go back before even I find a job offer here~ I NEEEEEED a good rest. If without a job offer, I would take some risks. Alternatively, I could take the bank statement with me, as the information that you quoted.

Do you have any idea that employers in California would provide H1b Visa to employees?

Thank you for your help.

Good Day!!

Judy

janlin12

Hi Judy,

Yes, I believe that many employers in California would provide H1b Visa to employees, however, there are also employers who just want to use you. It happened to my friend, and she just decided to leave after all. I would suggest you to try to find an American company since you have a Ph. D degree. Don'y worry, I think you can find a great job~ You just have to start to looking for a job asap and don't give up each opportunity. Good luck to you~!

Sandra

Judyitzu

Thanks a lot!!!

Dear Sandra:

Thank you for your help. Is your last name Lin? My last name is Lin, too.

Nice to know you.

Judy

janlin12

Hi Judy,

Yes, my last name is Lin~! Nice to know you as well~! I just feel so excited when I saw your post says that u r from TW. *.* Wish you best luck~! Share your good news with me huh~! Only good news yo...

Sandra

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">