• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my 5150 prevent me from getting a job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marth98

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was put on 2 5150s when I was 12 due to my depression. I also had attention problems, so I claimed I had hallucinations in order to get attention..(highly regret doing this). I also claimed I wanted to die, but never said I was going to kill my self.

I was never diagnosed with psychosis or anything, only depression and mood disorder NOS.

I'm 18 now and worried that this will prevent me from getting jobs! I realize being a police probably isn't in my future, but are there any other jobs I'll be unable to get?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was put on 2 5150s when I was 12 due to my depression. I also had attention problems, so I claimed I had hallucinations in order to get attention..(highly regret doing this). I also claimed I wanted to die, but never said I was going to kill my self.

I was never diagnosed with psychosis or anything, only depression and mood disorder NOS.

I'm 18 now and worried that this will prevent me from getting jobs! I realize being a police probably isn't in my future, but are there any other jobs I'll be unable to get?
You won't be able to be a professional pilot. Others may chime in with more.

quincy

Under the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act, mental health records are confidential and cannot be released without your authorization (with a few exceptions).

A link to the law: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayexpandedbranch.xhtml?tocCode=WIC&division=5.&title=&[art=&chapter=&article=

Last edited:

marth98

Yeah I know I can't join the military either.

Can I be a teacher though? I heard someone say I would never be able to work with children or have a decent job and would be working at McDonalds for my whole life :(

Zigner

Yeah I know I can't join the military either.

Can I be a teacher though? I heard someone say I would never be able to work with children or have a decent job and would be working at McDonalds for my whole life :(
No, that's not correct. Sure, you're going to run in to some roadblocks here and there, but a 5150 is not going to force you to work at McDonald's for the rest of your life. I would suggest that you seek out some therapy, preferably group therapy, so that you can get input for others who have "been there".

marth98

No, that's not correct. Sure, you're going to run in to some roadblocks here and there, but a 5150 is not going to force you to work at McDonald's for the rest of your life. I would suggest that you seek out some therapy, preferably group therapy, so that you can get input for others who have "been there".

I've stopped therapy a few years ago. So what problems do you think I'll run into? wilk it show on my background check? Health check? Will it prevent me from being a lawyer or a paralegal? Is there anyway to erase it from my health records since I was minor at the time it happened?

Zigner

I've stopped therapy a few years ago. So what problems do you think I'll run into? wilk it show on my background check? Health check? Will it prevent me from being a lawyer or a paralegal? Is there anyway to erase it from my health records since I was minor at the time it happened?
Frankly, we can't address every possible field that you may want to be involved in. I would suggest you contact your state's Bar Association for questions relating to those fields.

ETA: You could also contact your local community college that offers paralegal courses.

quincy

The areas where your mental health record could become an issue are those areas where state licensing is required. This includes education, law enforcement, medicine, and the law.

These records are not able to be expunged but they are sealed from public view. These records can only be accessed with your authorization, absent the conditions detailed in the link to the law that I provided to you above (e.g., absent a court order). These mental health records are not part of a standard background check.

All professions will have their requirements for licensing listed. How much weight is given any one factor is impossible to determine in advance. It is often a matter of the applicant being honest and open about their history and letting the Board weigh all factors that have been disclosed. However, it will be dishonesty or a failure to disclose that tends to weigh heaviest when a decision is made to accept or deny an applicant for licensing.

Also, it will be what you do NOW and from now on that is important. You will want to demonstrate that your juvenile record is just that - a juvenile record. It will be your acts and actions as an adult, the distancing of yourself from your juvenile-self, that can open employment doors for you.

Good luck.

marth98

The areas where your mental health record could become an issue are those areas where state licensing is required. This includes education, law enforcement, medicine, and the law.

These records are not able to be expunged but they are sealed from public view. These records can only be accessed with your authorization, absent the conditions detailed in the link to the law that I provided to you above (e.g., absent a court order). These mental health records are not part of a standard background check.

All professions will have their requirements for licensing listed. How much weight is given any one factor is impossible to determine in advance. It is often a matter of the applicant being honest and open about their history and letting the Board weigh all factors that have been disclosed. However, it will be dishonesty or a failure to disclose that tends to weigh heaviest when a decision is made to accept or deny an applicant for licensing.

Also, it will be what you do NOW and from now on that is important. You will want to demonstrate that your juvenile record is just that - a juvenile record. It will be your acts and actions as an adult, the distancing of yourself from your juvenile-self, that can open employment doors for you.

Good luck.
Ok thank you. So since this all happened when I was 12, will these records ever go away? And let's say theoretically I was planning on becoming a lawyer: Would admitting that I suffered from depression during my childhood, but not lying about anything, disqualify meg

Or becoming a teacher - I wouldn't be able to get my teaching credential for the state? Would I be able to be a pre school teacher or work at a daycare or something?

Sorry for all the questions! This just worries me :(

quincy

Ok thank you. So since this all happened when I was 12, will these records ever go away? And let's say theoretically I was planning on becoming a lawyer: Would admitting that I suffered from depression during my childhood, but not lying about anything, disqualify meg

Or becoming a teacher - I wouldn't be able to get my teaching credential for the state? Would I be able to be a pre school teacher or work at a daycare or something?

Sorry for all the questions! This just worries me :(
I cannot tell you - and no one on this forum can tell you - what you will be able to do or won't be able to do in the future. If you want to become a lawyer, look at the disqualifying factors for lawyers in your state. If you want to become a teacher, look at the disqualifying factors for teachers in your state.

Although I can understand your worry, there is not much you can do to change your mental health record or your past. What happened with you at age 12 happened. The best you can do is work toward showing that you are no longer the 12 year old with mental health problems but an accomplished and mentally healthy adult.

Good luck.

quincy

Couldnt you just say that you have never been hospitalized/received a 51/50 on the application? What evidence do you have?
This thread is from February 2017. Questions for and advice to the original poster is no longer necessary,

(but the answer to your first question is no and to the second question, a sealed record)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">