• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will My Auto Premiums Increase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rAS3CAL

What is the name of your state? nj
Yes, I live in the Auto Insurance capital of the world! Unfortunately, my husband was recently in an auto accident. He followed a truck through a green light. The truck was hugging the middle of the lane, as though he was going to make a left-hand turn, but he had no blinker on. My husband paused for approx. 5 seconds. When the truck did not turn after the oncoming traffic cleared, my husband figured the truck was stalled out, because he still was not moving. My husband began to pull around the truck to the right-hand side, when the truck pulled to the right and began to make a right turn, right into my husband's car! The policeman at the scene gave my husband a ticket for passing on the right! I understand he did, in fact, start to pass him on the right, but the truck was at fault for pausing in the middle of the road, wasn't he? Then he even said to my husband, "I didn't see you coming", when he pulled back into the right lane! My husband has enlisted the assistance of a lawyer who believes he will win the case for him, but my question is this. We have $3500 worth of damage done to our car. We have to submit this to our insurance company, and my agent states that the insurance adjusters may raise my rates. They will look at the police report and decide accordingly. Is that fair? If my husband goes to court and wins, and the fault of the accident is both of theirs, shouldn't the man driving the truck have to pay for some of my husband's expenses? He had no damage at all to his truck, and afterall, he did hit my husband. I just don't want to be taken by my insurance company, which I feel is going to happen. Please advise, I would kindly appreciate a sincere reply. Thank you!

M

michael parks

I guess your hubby will finally read and Understand the sign on most trucks:

"Trucks make wide turns do not pass on the right!"

Sorry not much you can do. Except to drive with the damage, and hope his ticket gets dismissed then there is no reason for a rate increase.

R

rAS3CAL

Will my rates increase?

Sorry, maybe my posting was unclear, when I say "truck" I wasn't clear. It wasn't a commercial size vehicle, it was only like a Ford Ranger type truck. (I'm not sure the exact model) And I understand that bigger trucks make wide right turns, but this wasn't the case, and if it even was, why would the truck pull into the left (right next to the double lanes in the middle of the road) and pause there for about 6 seconds before turning to the right? He paused so long that my husband thought the truck was stalled out? Our attorney advised him to file a cross-complaint for obstructing traffic and improper right turning?

M

michael parks

then do what your lawyer says, if there were any witnesses then it could clear your hubby, as long as he had driven in the proper lane, he didnt drive in the gutter lane or bike lane, then the truck could very well be charged with improper lane change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">