• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my driver's license be suspended?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

I guess it's possible. But that doesn't mean you'll get a pass. Heard of Uber? Or Lyft? Frankly? If I were your parent I wouldn't give a good gosh darn what the court or DMV had to say. You wouldn't be driving, and you'd hear me complaining how much more difficult your foolishness made it for me.
:love:

Los Angeles, California.

Today I went to juvenile court for the possession of marijuana and received community service, drug classes, and a fine that were all apart of a diversions program. I was also told by the judge that he is required to report my name to the DMV which can result in my driver's license being suspended for a year. I am 15 and don't have it yet which means I would have to wait until I am 17. If i finish the diversions program will I be able to get my driver's license since I will be cleared?
California vehicle code 12806.
The department may refuse to issue to, or renew a driver’s license of, any person:
(a) Who is rendered incapable of safely operating a motor vehicle because of alcoholism, excessive and chronic use of alcoholic beverages, or addiction to, or habitual use of, any drug.

Maybe getting an attorney is a good idea.

quincy

Once all terms of the diversion program are completed, an attorney can be helpful. Right now, there does not appear to be much need for one. He has already been to court on the charge.

CdwJava

Los Angeles, California.

Today I went to juvenile court for the possession of marijuana and received community service, drug classes, and a fine that were all apart of a diversions program. I was also told by the judge that he is required to report my name to the DMV which can result in my driver's license being suspended for a year. I am 15 and don't have it yet which means I would have to wait until I am 17. If i finish the diversions program will I be able to get my driver's license since I will be cleared?
What offense were you charged with?

If convicted of H&S 11357, here is the law:

VC 13202.
(a) A court may suspend or order that the department revoke in which case the department shall revoke the privilege of any person to operate a motor vehicle upon conviction of any offense related to controlled substances as defined in Division 10 (commencing with Section 11000) of the Health and Safety Code when the use of a motor vehicle was involved in, or incidental to, the commission of the offense.
(b) A court shall order that the department revoke and the department shall revoke the privilege of any person to operate a motor vehicle upon conviction of a violation of Section 11350, 11351, 11352, 11353, 11357, 11359, 11360, or 11361 of the Health and Safety Code when a motor vehicle was involved in, or incidental to, the commission of such offense.
(c) The period of time for suspension or the period after revocation during which the person may not apply for a license shall be determined by the court, but in no event shall such period exceed three years from the date of conviction.

If you successfully complete diversion, that should result in the charge being brought back before the court and then dismissed. As a result there will no longer be a conviction (or, as a juvenile, a true finding). Therefore, you could be able to apply for a license sometime after that when you might otherwise be eligible.

What offense were you charged with?

If convicted of H&S 11357, here is the law:

VC 13202.
(a) A court may suspend or order that the department revoke in which case the department shall revoke the privilege of any person to operate a motor vehicle upon conviction of any offense related to controlled substances as defined in Division 10 (commencing with Section 11000) of the Health and Safety Code when the use of a motor vehicle was involved in, or incidental to, the commission of the offense.
(b) A court shall order that the department revoke and the department shall revoke the privilege of any person to operate a motor vehicle upon conviction of a violation of Section 11350, 11351, 11352, 11353, 11357, 11359, 11360, or 11361 of the Health and Safety Code when a motor vehicle was involved in, or incidental to, the commission of such offense.
(c) The period of time for suspension or the period after revocation during which the person may not apply for a license shall be determined by the court, but in no event shall such period exceed three years from the date of conviction.

If you successfully complete diversion, that should result in the charge being brought back before the court and then dismissed. As a result there will no longer be a conviction (or, as a juvenile, a true finding). Therefore, you could be able to apply for a license sometime after that when you might otherwise be eligible.
So your saying once the program is done and my charge is dismissed, technically, I can apply to get a license at the normal age I would have gotten it?

quincy

So your saying once the program is done and my charge is dismissed, technically, I can apply to get a license at the normal age I would have gotten it?
You can petition for a restoration of your license/driving privilege after you have completed all terms of the diversion program without reoffending and your charge is dismissed.

Right now, however, you should concentrate on diversion. That hurdle needs to be cleared first.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">