• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will the appeals court send any show cause notice to appellee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimmy2

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am pro se appellant at Florida district court of appeals and I filed the initial brief on time. Appellee hasn’t filed answer brief on time and he did not request for extension of time to file. If appellee does not file, does the appeals court send him any reminder or notice alerting/ show cause him, giving him some additional time, to file the answer brief OR will the case be decided based only on the initial brief, without any further alert/show cause to the appellee?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am pro se appellant at Florida district court of appeals and I filed the initial brief on time. Appellee hasn’t filed answer brief on time and he did not request for extension of time to file. If appellee does not file, does the appeals court send him any reminder or notice alerting/ show cause him, giving him some additional time, to file the answer brief OR will the case be decided based only on the initial brief, without any further alert/show cause to the appellee?
One major concern will be whether or not you properly served the appellee in the first place. The court won't serve him anything. That is all on you.

jimmy2

thanks agin for the answer. Yes, I properly served the appellee my initial brief. The pro se hand book also does not discuss this situation.

adjusterjack

It's easy to go to court pro se...Until it isn't. Then you need a lawyer.

Nobody here can give you step by step legal advice, nor can anybody at the courthouse. When you go to court pro se you are supposed to know all the processes and procedures, just as any lawyer would.

I pointed you to Rule 9.410. If you can't figure out how to use that Rule then you either hire a lawyer or you just wait until your opponent files his responsive brief, whenever that may be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">