• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will There Be any Problems Collecting on Ex's Policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coffeycup

My exhusband has recently died. I kept up a policy on him for $7000. I have a death certificate and the policy. My question is since there was no will, insurance and his assets were probably under 10,000 and no executor, will there be any problems collecting and will any of his bill collectors see this as probable repayment money. We have been divorced for over 10 years in Virginia. There was nothing said or done about this is the divorce decree.

K

kusawa

In Answer to your question

When you divorced, as you say, over 10 years ago, you no longer had a legal or valid insurable interest in his life. Life insurance is to cover funeral expenses, and burial, help make you feel better for your broken heart, and help cover bills that he was covering before he deceased. Do you have a broken heart? Did you bury him? Did you pay for his funeral? Did his death leave you with bills that he was covering or contributing to, up till his death?

When someone has a life insurance on someone they are no longer with, or have any valid interest in their lives, this life insurance claim becomes something no less than a contract on their head. Sadley, moral issues in our country have become so badly corrupted by greed over the past years, that insurance companies have even included specifications in their policies that make it very difficult for the insured to take themselves off a benificiary's claim.

Sure, you could try to claim, but it's highly unlikely that the insurance company will pay out, due to the divorce many years ago. You say you've been keeping up on the policy payments, so you should be able at least, to get a refund of those payments.

If you attempt to collect the full payout on this claim, and it does get paid to you, then you cannot be held responsible for any of his debts that were incurred after your divorce. I remind you that you no longer had any legal or valid interest in his life once the divorce was decreed. If you do this, and succeed, would it be morally acceptable to your peace of mind?

I leave you with that question to ponder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">