• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will they insurance total and take my RV?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Onceagain33

So..I have talked with every appraisal company I found today. They cannot do this because they do not come and appraise the RV…they do certified appraisals which the insurance companies require. These appraisals are only comp sales and kb. One agent explained to me that they are getting dozens of calls like mine…they cannot help because they are not RVs but conversions. They cannot appraise a conversion. No RV appraiser will.

I’ve spoken with agents at. Miller RV insurance….they are not writing agreed value policies any more. this is the list of agents I have talked to…condon and Shelly…only cars, State Farm…no more agreed value, Allstate, geico, progressive, National general, all stopped writing agreed value. Haggerty only does trailers…nothing with a motor. Grundy .. not writing agreed value, RV direct and Farmers also stopped writing agreed value. American classics and JC Taylor do not handle motor homes.

i also learned that an RV appraise cannot appraise a conversion like I have because it isn’t considered an RV…they don’t do Schoolie, roadpro, or any other types of conversion either…because they are not RVs.

I didn’t realize I had a conversion because it has always been titled as a motorhome. But, there isn’t a sticker in the door from Honeywell Motorhomes which shows it was built as an RV.

So, I am at a loss.

adjusterjack

I'll keep researching this for you but I'll need information. Answer all of the following.

How much Agreed Value do you want on it? Give me a dollar amount.

Look on your title. How is the vehicle specified? Make and model?

What is the Vehicle Identification Number on the title?

Look at the following ad. Does your vehicle resemble the RV in the photo?

Camper 1986 Honeywell | Syracuse Classifieds 13322 Clayville (8 Miles south of Utica) | $1500 | RV | Vehicle | deal Classified Ads (craigclassifiedads.com)

Onceagain33

Yes, the ad you showed me is it. Now, the differences are that mine was totally gutted to the outer skin. the upgrades are far too many to list here. The interior finish work is all solid natural cherry and oak…no veneer. Custom built solid oak cabinets and center console on the dog house. also, total electric upgrade, 1.5kwh solar and 400amp lithium battery system. (I have so much power that I charge an electric car). The entire RV is totally electric..no propane.

The engine, transmission, radiator, fuel pumps (both) tank, water pump, time chain and housing, ecm, master were replaced in 2017 all seals and gaskets replaced at the same time. (Basically gutted the engine compartment and rebuilt new). Entire suspension replaced..including koni in the front and Bilstein in the rear. Included steer safe to steering.

the agreed value with progressive was $50K. (I have all the receipts and they add up to more than that). All work was done in 2017. $5k improvements in the last 3 months.

it is listed as a Honeywell Mini. 1989.
1FDKE30GXJHB27846

adjusterjack

No problem. I know what it's like to have vehicles that don't fit inside the definitions of the auto insurance industry.

There is a type of insurance called Excess/Surplus Lines (also known as E&S). E&S companies provide custom made insurance policies for the unique type of risk that regular insurance companies don't want. The insurance is provided through insurance brokers (wholesalers) who, in turn, provide access to local independent agents.

Do an internet search for independent agents in your city. Pick a large one that represents many insurance companies. Ask to speak to a commercial lines agent. I say that because the people that sell the auto and homeowners policies don't ordinarily think outside the box. Commercial lines agents often have need of the E&S market and know how to get to it if they can't write your agreed value any other way.

If you get a nibble, go in with photos and an itemization of your restoration costs.

Meantime, I'll continue my efforts.

Onceagain33

I have called each E&S listed agent I could find, All I get is silence. I have left messages on phone mail. The announcement makes it clear that I did call the right number. So, after 2 days..not one is answering.

??

Onceagain33

I am sorry… I posted an answer to this question last week. I didn’t notice it never appeared.

grand Junction, CO

during this last week, I contacted every E&S I could find online. No responses … none. Weird. I guess my RV is not their market.
meanwhile I have lost collision and comprehensiv. I decided I couldn’t allow the insurance company to total my RV for $2,370 less deductible. I really feared having the insurance company tag my title as “salvage”. so now it is zero. I am really not comfortable with that, but it is what it is.

any ideas in the meantime?

adjusterjack

I am sorry… I posted an answer to this question last week. I didn’t notice it never appeared.

grand Junction, CO
I found 4 independent agents in Grand Junction that rep multiple insurance companies and sell commercial and personal insurance.

I suggest that, this time, you visit their offices one by one for a face to face visit with an agent. Bring a comprehensive list of your restoration and customization showing dates, type, and costs. Make duplicates of your photos. Make extra copies as you may have to leave them with the agent.

Insurance Services | Grand Junction, CO | Beckner-Power Insurance (bpigj.com)

Auto, Home, Classic Car, Workers Compensation, Oil and Gas Insurance in Grand Junction, Colorado - Bird Family Insurance Agency, Inc

Colorado West Insurance | Insurance for Families, Cars and Homes in Grand Junction, Colorado (cwipro.com)

Rocky Mountain West Insurance - Independent Insurance Agency (rockyquote.com)

Visit them, even if you have already called them. I doubt that anybody paid much attention to your calls and it was easy to say no on the phone because it involves more work than usual.

Be sure to mention surplus lines if they can't write agreed value with a standard carrier.

Onceagain33

Well…I wish I had a follow up to report. But, after visiting a couple independent agents, it is clear to me that I am not going to get insurance. I’ve asked explicitly about surplus line and E&S. Every avenue has been a dead end, Insurance companies are dropping coverage for these types of motor homes….everywhere. I have gotten quite a lot of sympathy…I am being told there is now a lot of people in my situation having been recently dropped by their insurance, many with super expensive rebuilds. One agent told me that it is an issue that arose from a recent court case that progressive lost….a policy like mine (agreed value) that progressive did not honor … pointing to the kb value as the basis. now. So, now they are dropping those policies, but so are the other carriers. There appears to be a mad rush to get out of the business.

(I considered Lloyds of London…but was told they write policies starting at $1M).

Last edited:

adjusterjack

In the past few years Progressive faced a couple of class action lawsuits about how it determined ACV. They would have had nothing to do with agreed value policies but it doesn't surprise me that Progressive and other insurance companies are painting all RVs with the same brush.

I'm all out of ideas. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">