• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will They Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dawgs4u2

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My father took out a small Accidental Death policy ($10,000) on 12/20/02. He then took out a small term life policy ($15,000) on 6/5/03. On 12/13/03, Dad's house caught on fire due to his coal stove. He was pronounced dead as a result of smoke inhalation. He had emphysema, which was not revealed on his applications. Both policies have a two year contestability period. However, it was just one year contesability on the accidental death for "pre-existing conditions". He died four days short of a year from the time it was written and seven days short of a year from the time it issued. If the company says they won't pay because of the emphysema, I know a lady who is 73, has emphysema, is on oxygen full time, and has diabetes, who was issued a $5000 graded benefit policy by the same company. The death was not due to natural causes, it was accidental. Will his emphysema still matter since it was accidental? The claim is still pending. I submitted it on 12/26/03, and have had to fill out questionairres and send in articles about the fire etc. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA IF THE CLAIM SHOULD BE PAID? Thanks for ANY help!

Bigfoot

The time limits are very specific. What you may receive is a return of the premiums that your father paid into the policy and possibly some interest on that.

D

Dawgs4u2

Great News! I was notified today that BOTH claims were paid today!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">