• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Us Govt aligned companies (public authority) sponsor H1B visa?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssivaraman

I don't know what you mean by "Us Govt aligned companies"
It means companies which are public authority. Companies which work for the government such as transportation authority, housing authority, environmental protection, water authority etc. These companies are tagged as "Government Entities".

PayrollHRGuy

Thank you for the clarification. Government entities are not generally companies they are government entities. Companies are generally private entities.

I know of no law not allowing all government entities to sponsor an H1B visa. If any given entity is willing or legally able to sponsor an H1B visa would be specific to each entity.

ssivaraman

Thank you for the clarification. Government entities are not generally companies they are government entities. Companies are generally private entities.

I know of no law not allowing all government entities to sponsor an H1B visa. If any given entity is willing or legally able to sponsor an H1B visa would be specific to each entity.
Thanks much for the clarification. It helps!

t74

Some positions require US citizenship or at least a green card.

Just because it is a government job does not make it cap exempt so the earliest the agency could file is April 2020 to start no earlier than Oct 1, 2020.

ssivaraman

Some positions require US citizenship or at least a green card.

Just because it is a government job does not make it cap exempt so the earliest the agency could file is April 2020 to start no earlier than Oct 1, 2020.
Do you mean all govt job doesn't usually comes under the cap exempt criteria? If so what is the criteria for cap exempt?

t74

Ask the employer about the specific job. Many government jobs require US citizenship orr at least permanent residency.

FlyingRon

If you are talking about people whose business is primarily contracting to the US government, I can tell you the answer is yes. I spent 21 years working for a company that did nearly all of our business with the federal government or their direct contractors. I've sponsored a handful of scientists on H1B. As noted, many places can not have non-US nationals working for them. We had structured our business a bit differently and my division indeed could have such provided they came from reasonable countries (most of mine were from India, but I had some from the UK, and even one Russian).

Of course, no company can be COMPELLED to hire you as an H1B. It's entirely discretionary on their part and substantial effort and cost.

What should not happen (and this is unfortunately abused) is that they shouldn't be bodyshopping those brought in on H1Bs. Of course, they're unlikely to do this with many government agencies as the agency won't allow non-nationals as well. When I worked for a military lab, it was near impossible to even bring a non-national in for a visit, let alone hire them.

FlyingRon

Actually, the feds,and the non-profit entities associated with the feds (think things like MITRE), are not only eligible to sponsor, they are automatically cap exempt.

Still, it's probably wishful thinking that you're going to get such a position without being highly in demand.

t74

I suspect OP is trying to get a cap-exempt position since the lottery is over and the first possible start date is Oct 2020 if he wins in next year's lottery (and that is a big if with the number of applicants). Most cap-exempt positions seem to be at universities but even more are J-1s at really low wages (30K for a research scientist at my state's major research institution).

PayrollHRGuy

Go back and read post number 3 in the thread. I don't think the OP would use the examples he used if he were looking for a job in a college.

t74

I doubt he is looking at universities just as a means of avoiding a filing in the lottery so as to work sooner and guaranteed visa. I am getting really tired of people looking to break into a very long line.

berneeric

I don't know what you mean by "Us Govt aligned companies"
An alliance is a relationship among people, groups, or states that have joined together for some cause, may it be national or state. Includies political alliances, military alliances, and business alliances etc

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">