• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills/custody of children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SheilaW

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My husband and I would like to set up our wills and have arrangements in place for our small children in case something were to happen to us. Do we have to have a lawyer or can we do this ourselves?

mistoffolees

You can write your own will. There are self-help books and forms that you can buy.

HOWEVER, if there's anything even a little complicated about your situation, I'd suggest at least having it reviewed by an attorney to save your heirs all sorts of problems.

If the two of you are not the parents of the children (if one of you is a stepparent, for example), then you really need an attorney since the other parent would have first rights in most cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">