• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chrisbud

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My step father died and the will has my mother and his 3 sons as receiving equal shares of what is left in his estate. I am wondering, does my mother receive anything more from the estate because she is the wife? I am hearing that the wife gets a 1/3 no matter what the will states.

Also, my step father lived with my mother in her house and everything is in my mother's name (bills and house from a previous divorce). Does the estate owe my mother any money since he was living with her in her house until he died?

Thank you for your help.

ALawyer

She has a statutory right to elect against her husband's estate, regardless of what the Will says, and perhaos an additional spousal share. I do not know the PA election is, but in many states it is 1/3rd in these circumstances. And hat is only of HIS property.

She really needs to consult a lawyer in PA to help explain this to her and possibly the kids, and protect her interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">