• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abulldog

The State of NJ if a will is made are members of the entire family required to see it. I know there was a will but I was told by the exectutor what was in it but was never shown the will. Do I have a right to see the will. Also I was asked for my address for papers to be sent for the will to be probated but never received any papers. :confused:

noname87

I am currently the executor of my mother's estate in NJ.

When I filed for probate, I was required to send a "Notice of Probate" to each beneficiary and the next of kin. This form stated where the will was probated, who the executors are and states that a copy of the will be made available upon request. I had to sign a paper saying that I did this. I did but if I didn't the state has no way of knowing unless someone reports me. You should be able to get a copy of the will assuming it has been probated by going to the Surrogate Court of the county where the person died. It is a public record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">