• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tammy tran

i am being sued by my dead husbands children
we were married for 22 years the kids have not interacted with us for the las 5 by choice and now they want me to give them money and our home the son filed to be executor of the estate all we own is our home and car and 11 k in our account
wisconsin
what do i owe them if anything

PayrollHRGuy

If you have been served with notice of a lawsuit you need to hire lawyer at once. If you are being threatened with one the matter is not so urgent.

Was there a will? How are your names on the deed to the home and how is the bank account listed?

LdiJ

i am being sued by my dead husbands children
we were married for 22 years the kids have not interacted with us for the las 5 by choice and now they want me to give them money and our home the son filed to be executor of the estate all we own is our home and car and 11 k in our account

what do i owe them if anything
Assuming that you are in the US:

Did you and your husband jointly own the home? if so, the home became your sole property when he passed. Did you and your husband jointly own the car? If so, again, the car became your sole property when he passed. Was the bank account a joint bank account? If so, again, the account became your sole property when he passed.

His son can certainly file to become the executor of his estate, but if the assets were jointly owned and passed to your outside of your husband's estate, then his filing to become the executor is pointless.

If any of the above items were in your husband's name only, then the state you are located in makes a big difference as to what the answers would be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">