• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Windstorm coverage vs replacement value

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stormdodger

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I live in a coastal Florida community. Given the recent boom in real estate values and apparent increase in hurricane risk, should homeowners here carry windstorm coverage based on actual replacement value? My property tax statement says my home is assessed at $67,146 with a market value of $137,685 -- yet I know it would sell for nearly $300,000. But my windstorm coverage through Citizen's is still $68,000. I bought the house in 1992 (no outstanding mortgage).

I don't feel comfortable with this and value your expert opinions -- what would you do? Also, would tripling the coverage about triple the premium?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:

JETX

stormdodger said:
I live in a coastal Florida community. Given the recent boom in real estate values and apparent increase in hurricane risk, should homeowners here carry windstorm coverage based on actual replacement value?
Did you have a LEGAL question in their somewhere???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">