• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Windstorm Insurance requirement unconstitutional??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lin227

How can I fight being forced by a mortgage co. to carry Windstorm insurance? Any class action suits out there? Ft. Lauderdale

HomeGuru

lin227 said:
How can I fight being forced by a mortgage co. to carry Windstorm insurance? Any class action suits out there? Ft. Lauderdale
**A: and why would you not want the coverage in light of the fact that you are in a hurricane zone?

JETX

"How can I fight being forced by a mortgage co. to carry Windstorm insurance?"
*** You can't. Simply, you live in an area that is prone to 'windstorms'. And as such, the lender requires you to have protection against loss due to same. Nothing wrong or illegal at all..... especially considering that you agreed to it when you signed the note.

L

lin227

why I choose not to have windstorm insurance

When I obtained the mortgage it was prior to Hurricane Andrew..so no I did not agree to be subjected to the states whim on additional insurance due to insurance Companies pulling out of Fl. due to their losses. I understand a mortgage Co. need to insure it's investment..no prob. However homeowners insurance has doubled and you are required to carry flood..along with the windstorm. Again no prob. but when the land you are on is worth more than your mortgage is and the windstorm is 1,400 with a 10,200 deductable last year the premium was 1,200 this is the one and only co. through the state that you can obtain the insurance, reeks a bit I feel..again I am not some rich person living on the beach..I have a modest home 3 mi. inland.

tammy8

Talk to your mortgate company. They are the ones requiring it, not the insurance company.

If you are still not happy you got 2 choices--pay off your mortage and cancel the insurance (and pray you don't get blown away) or sell and move.

Sorry but you are at one of the greatest risk areas around.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nor do I understand how required insurance is unconstitutional. Nothing in the Constitution gives you the guaranteed right to decline insurance.

P

Pfaffing85690

Sure there is CBG...

"..Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of stupidity."

It's hidden just under the "hanging chad" amendment.

P

Pfaffing85690

It was overturned while you were attending the last orientation meeting in Hong Kong.:D

P

Pfaffing85690

Well you Cad, My dad went through that Fad before he Had to be Clad in Rad clothing. But don't fret Lad, you can Pad the room a Tad :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">