• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Winning Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Friend2001

I am about to go to court because of a civil matter I have with my landlord. I have a good case and I am sure I am going to win. However, how does it work after that. How do I get him to actually pay the judgement. The case is about damaged or missing property from the rental home.

I live in PA, my judgement is for $4,000.00. He and his wife own 2 properties and vehicals. What if he refuses to pay. I wont agree to payments because he has the money to pay.

Please send any advice

Gia

HomeGuru

If you win the case then the court will order a judgement against L.
You then need to file a separate action to collect on that judgement by filing a lien on his property and foreclosing, garnishment of his bank account etc.

L

LL

You have asked one of the great questions for which the law generally does not have good answers.

After getting the court to agree with you that the landlord should pay you money, the court writes it down and then more or less abandons you.

(By the way, you said that you were about to go to court, and then you say that your judgement is for $4000.00. I assume that is just a slip of the tongue (keyboard)).

Its great that he has vehicles. How much money is in them, liens and everything considered. In California, you would have to pay the Sheriff enough money to cover the cost of his going out and seizing the vehicle (you would have to name a specific vehicle, or pay for each one), selling the vehicle at auction, the cost of the D.A. to defend against any challenges to the seizure, and then the State will additionally take off a percentage for themselves, and return any remaining money to you, if there is any. Same thing with property, except that it is even more hassle.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">