• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

winter cloud looms over doomed marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kreilly

State = PA.
My husband has informed me that the only reason he hasn't left me is because of the holidays. So, I expect January to be an awful month at home. I need to know what my rights are as far as marrital assets and the children go. We have two children. We own a home in PA and are joint owners in a vacation home in NJ. I have a good job that will support myself and our children in our current lifestyle. He has not worked on the books for 2 years now and will find it difficult to prove stable income. He also has a drinking problem. If we do move towards divorce, I want the kids and both houses. Am I entitled to these things? I am far more stable in lifestyle than he and can prove that without much effort. I don't feel that he would be capable to care for the children on his own. He drinks too much. That would be a detrimental situation, not to mention the fact that he would not be able to keep either home on his salary. He has also threatened to grab the kids and run off with them. This scares me as well. How can I avoid this situation? I don't know if I should make the first step in divorce, or wait until he does, if he does. Despite it all, I still love him and don't want a divorce. But, I've got to be prepared for the worst and look out for the safety of my children and myself.

LegalBeagle

kreilly said:
State = PA.
My husband has informed me that the only reason he hasn't left me is because of the holidays. So, I expect January to be an awful month at home. I need to know what my rights are as far as marrital assets and the children go. We have two children. We own a home in PA and are joint owners in a vacation home in NJ. I have a good job that will support myself and our children in our current lifestyle. He has not worked on the books for 2 years now and will find it difficult to prove stable income. He also has a drinking problem. If we do move towards divorce, I want the kids and both houses. Am I entitled to these things? I am far more stable in lifestyle than he and can prove that without much effort. I don't feel that he would be capable to care for the children on his own. He drinks too much. That would be a detrimental situation, not to mention the fact that he would not be able to keep either home on his salary. He has also threatened to grab the kids and run off with them. This scares me as well. How can I avoid this situation? I don't know if I should make the first step in divorce, or wait until he does, if he does. Despite it all, I still love him and don't want a divorce. But, I've got to be prepared for the worst and look out for the safety of my children and myself.
Both houses ?? bit greedy arn't we ??

I suggest you gather up all the evidence you can, document everything and ensure you have $1500 for an attorney. Start looking for an attorney now, get your free consultation with a few until you find one you like. Ask the attorney to send you a contract and invoice for the retainer. Sign the contract and write your check, put it in the envelope with stamp etc.. put it somewhere safe.

The moment he mentions it again or looks like he is taking action, post the contract and have your attorney draw up a seperation agreement immediately.

K

kreilly

Thanks for the advice.

And no, I don't feel I'm being greedy. I've done all the work and paid most of the bills for the last 10 years.

LegalBeagle

kreilly said:
Thanks for the advice.

And no, I don't feel I'm being greedy. I've done all the work and paid most of the bills for the last 10 years.
Well, be prepared to receive a request for alimony from him..

O

Old & Stressed

Not only are you looking at alimony, your husband will want & probably get 50% of the value in both homes, 50% of your bank accounts & retirement accounts. At least that is how it will start out. It will be up to you to prove otherwise. You might want to check out PA marital law and see what you might do before the new year.

Suggested sites for information:

http://www.DivorceNet.com
http://www.DivorceSource.com
http://www.yob.com
http://www.Divorce-online.com

Get some legal advise and be prepared! I'm a layperson like you, but this site and others have been very helpful.

Good Luck

K

kreilly

Geez! Keeps getting worse and worse.
Typical though. Bust your hump for years providing a good life for the family and what do ya get?
I'll call that lawyer today!

LegalBeagle

kreilly said:
Geez! Keeps getting worse and worse.
Typical though. Bust your hump for years providing a good life for the family and what do ya get?
I'll call that lawyer today!
This is why you should have cut away the dead weight or infection years ago..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">