• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wish to Adopt Children in Foster Care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My husband and I are interested in 4 siblings who live in Baltimore City, Maryland. They have been in foster care for 26 months -- in 4 separate homes. A new social worker has just been assigned to the case, and now she wants to start the process (attempting reunification with the mother, searching for relatives who will adopt the children) all over again. We thought the state was going to move to terminate parental rights at the next court hearing in June, but the new social worker said she wanted to work with the mother for a minimum of 6 months before even thinking about a TPR petition. In the meantime, the social worker refuses to meet with or work with my husband and I.

Is there such a thing as a "friend of the court" petition that I can file? I'd love to adopt the children or have them in a foster care arrangement until they are available for adoption. What options do I have to get those children out of foster care limbo?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential