• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

withdrawing 401k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

augie38

What is the name of your state? Ca.

My daughter has been unemployed for a year and half. She has finally exhausted all of her benifits and has no income at this time.
She has a small 401k ($3200), that she contributed to at her last job. She has no taxable income this year. She needs money! And I told her to withdraw the the 401k and any taxes that they take out will be should be retuned to her when she files her income tax next year. Am I right in telling her this? What penalties are involved when withdrawing from a 401k, or is it just that the taxes that have to be payed? thanks

Last edited:

ShyCat

The plan administrator will likely withhold 20% ($640) for federal income tax withholding, which would count towards any refund due her when she files her 1040 next year. However, she will be assessed a 10% early withdrawal penalty ($320) when she files, so in the end, the most she'd get back of the withheld amount is half. The state may also assess income tax and penalty on the withdrawal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">