• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrew application before approved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahg97

What is the name of your state?New York

I applied for an apartment in a co-op. Before my application could go before the board, I had to sign a lease and pay 1st month's rent, security deposit, and broker's fee. Then I had to wait for an interview with the co-op board. The wait time after I signed was weeks and weeks, without the interview being scheduled. I finally withdrew my application, as I needed a place to live. I'm now being told that I'm in breach of contract and therefore not entitled to my money back. However, I was never approved to live there and while I signed the lease, it was not signed by the owners.

How do I proceed?

quincy

They never gave me a copy. I'm feeling really foolish but this was my first time dealing with a co-op and it was a completely different experience than just renting an apartment
You should request a copy, then. The answer to your question should be found in the contract.

PayrollHRGuy

You should never sign ANYTHING without getting a copy. You need to ask them for a copy.

I assume you applied to rent and not purchase. NY and specifically NYC have very favorable to the renter laws.

sarahg97

You should never sign ANYTHING without getting a copy. You need to ask them for a copy.

I assume you applied to rent and not purchase. NY and specifically NYC have very favorable to the renter laws.
Yes, sorry I forgot to write that I was renting. And yes, in NYC. They have lawyers involved on their end, so I guess I should get a lawyer? I've never had a lawyer before so this is all crazy to me.

quincy

Yes, sorry I forgot to write that I was renting. And yes, in NYC. They have lawyers involved on their end, so I guess I should get a lawyer? I've never had a lawyer before so this is all crazy to me.
There are landlord/tenant legal aid clinics where you can seek a personal review for low or no cost.

PayrollHRGuy

I agee $12K is enough to panic over for anyone. If you can't find a legal aid clinic as quincy suggested you should certainly contact a lawyer. But getting a copy of the contract now may save you some time and money with a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">