• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

withheld judgment vs. conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

USMC1775 said:
What is the name of your state? IDAHO

What is the diferance between these two?

Thank you for your time
What is the exact terminology on the documents you have?

I suspect that you are referring to a deferred entry of judgement which would essentially mean that the judge is withholding the final verdict of guilty pending something that must be done. What it might mean here is that the judge has found a person guilty (generally pursuant to a plea, I believe) but is withholding the imposition of the sentence and the verdict until he sees if the person complete some conditions ... probation, counseling, rehab, etc.

There are others here that might have a more exact definition.

- Carl

USMC1775

Carl,

Thanks for your response. The case is a misdemeanor Domestic Violence charge. I pled guilty and the judge said I had to attend 52 weeks of treatment and 2 years probation. I have never ever had anything to with the law ever. This is my first offense ever. The only thing I ever had was a speeding ticket and that was 5 years ago. She stated she was reluctant to giving me a withheld judgment but agreed to in the end. I have not been in trouble since and my probation is nearing it's end.

I want to be able to stand in front of the judge at the end of this and request that she drop the charges and remove this from my record. I learned my lesson and I take this very serious. I appreciate any advise or help anyone can give me.

Heather2

USMC1775 said:
What is the name of your state? IDAHO

What is the diferance between these two?

Thank you for your time
With withheld judgment you were not convicted of the crime. So when asked that question on job application you can truthfully answer no.

I'm not sure about laws in your state but here we have what is called deferred adjudication, same rules but with that you have to wait 2 years for a misdemeanor to have it removed from your record. You might want to ask the judge if that applies to withheld judgment .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">